2000 F100 4-stroke Flashing Off Repeatedly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 F100 4-stroke Flashing Off Repeatedly

My 2000 F100TLRY, flashes off instantly, then immediately fires back up. When this happens, tach drops to nothing for a split second, and lights come on. Usually this immediately resolves and everything fires back up. Then this will repeat sometimes dozens of times. Eventually motor quits and then won't restart. Usually seems to happen at higher RPM's. I initially suspected bad ground and rewired all connections at battery. Problem persists. Any ideas?
    Last edited by TelkwaMike; 06-03-2019, 03:57 PM.

An electrical problem in either the positive or ground side of the circuits would be my guess.

"flashes off instantly". I am not familiar with this term. Can you explain a bit more about what this means?

Comment

Best way I can describe it. Running like a top at 3K RPM and then a momentary blip where the tack hits 0, and motor dies (like everything just shuts off for a split second). In this split second the oil pressure and battery lights come on. Then in the next second tach rebounds, instrument lights off, motor resumes and all is normal. Just a blip on the screen. Then repeat. Checked all connections at battery and on motor itself...

Comment

I guess I could also say that usually this flashing "off-on" cycle ends on an "off". The motor dies and then will not restart. Lots of juice from battery to starter, but won't fire up.

Comment

Even had to get towed in by an Evinrude!! Only redeeming thing about that was that the same Evinrude had to get towed in by a Merc later that afternoon. lol

Comment

Did you notice if the movement of the boat has anything to do with it happening? For example, it only does it when the boat is pounds in the chop, or it is fine when it is smooth water.
            I suspect a loose connection or chafed wire somewhere you have not found yet.

Check your ignition switch...wiggle the key while running and check connections on the back.

Comment

Originally posted by TelkwaMike View Post
              Best way I can describe it. Running like a top at 3K RPM and then a momentary blip where the tack hits 0, and motor dies (like everything just shuts off for a split second). In this split second the oil pressure and battery lights come on. Then in the next second tach rebounds, instrument lights off, motor resumes and all is normal. Just a blip on the screen. Then repeat. Checked all connections at battery and on motor itself...
              What are these battery lights about? What do they do?

Comment

As Pan asked, what about the power to and from the key switch? What about the ten pin connector on the motor? The ground to and from the kill switch? Connections were checked even at the CDI connector? Are the fuses clean and tight within their receptacles?

Comment

Even had to get towed in by an Evinrude!! Only redeeming thing about that was that the same Evinrude had to get towed in by a Merc later that afternoon. lol
                  What the hell is wrong with an Evinrude?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                    What are these battery lights about? What do they do?
                    Thanks Boscoe

Sorry, not battery lights, temperature light.

Pulled apart Key Switch and all looks good there. Connections look clean and wires good. I will check fuses and other connections mentioned. Then off to the lake to test drive for a while.

Comment

Sounds like the ignition ONLY as you still have warning lights on the dash...

Just for S &G's, try R & R'n the safety lanyard clip near the ignition switch. Maybe a little penetrating lube in there.

If no help, run the engine on muffs (or in a tank) and start "manipulating" wires trying to duplicate/ kill the engine..
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                      X