Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 90TLRC hard start

Hello,
    My 2004 90TLRC is hard to start cold. Once it warms up, it runs fine. If I turn the manual prime start lever to emergency on, it starts right up. After warm up I switch back to normal. Where do I begin to repair the prime start? The plunger mechanism does work.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

couple of questions.
    are you calling normal position the full CC rotation ?

how do you know the plunger works as it should?

I would check all passages to make sure fuel can get into and out of the prime start system.
    and that the pump works

Comment

Can't remember exactly the position. Just according to the label on the motor. I can walk out there and take a look later.

I removed the plunger and connected to 12 volt and it slowly moved. Also it seems to me that if it didn't work it would stay enriched. Mine is not enriching.

I guess I need to dissasemble and clean passages. Does it use different passages when in emergency on position?

Comment

Forgot to say thank you.... Thank you for responding 99yam40

Comment

some are different passages. if the normal soes not work then you need something different to function.

another question for you,
          do you leave the fast idle lever down(not open the throttle when trying to start cold?

on mt C40TLRX, it usually takes 2 or maybe 3 , 2or 3 second spins of the starter to fire up cold if the carb bowls are full of fuel. do not open throttle at all.

after that 1st start of the day the motor fire right up.

Comment

Throttle lever down. No throttle. Engine cranks for 30 seconds or so and then tries to start. Coughs and dies. I do this about 8-10 times. Eventually it begins running longer and once warmed up stays running and is fine for the rest of the day. If I remove cover and flip the little red lever, it starts right up. Then after warm up I switch back to normal and it does fine. Typically I am too lazy to remove cover and I just start it numerous times. Good battery and starter .

Comment

running a starter for 30 seconds at a time will cook the starter.
              I think the owners manual says 5 seconds a a time with a small rest between

do you pump the primer bulb until it is hard(no more fuel will go into the carb bowls) before trying to cold start.

prime start should get the extra fuel from one of the carb bowls

looking at a parts breakdown on your motor it will be the center carb.
              seeing how it gets the extra fuel it needs when put into the open position, I would look at the passages that the needle blocks off once warm
              Last edited by 99yam40; 06-02-2019, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Pull the cover that holds the red valve and check the diaphragm,it may be cracked.

Comment

Dis-regard….
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                  X