1991 225TXRP: new gauge but no change in trim angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 225TXRP: new gauge but no change in trim angle

OK...so we think the trim sender may be bad as the new digital gauge doesn't show any change in the trim sender. Set gauge on both 3 and 4 wire trim (we got 3) with no change...it just stays on 1 bar.

A manual inspection of the arm shows that it's hard to move and at the moment we cannot get the switch off...so it may stay there since a freak'n switch is $150!!!

Any suggestions if this is a common failure item and is there any fix/clean other then a replacement at a silly price.

well maintained rigs don't seem to have this issue.
    only when that sender never gets a bit of spray lube do we see it.
    its a common failure on all makes of outboards.

Comment

If it's the same arm as my engine (although if it's different, I would imagine it's similar in function - but someone else can maybe verify that), you can disconnect the wiring harness at the engine and do a simple resistance check. This would simply be to verify that the sender is bad and not the wiring between the harness quick connect and the gauge.

I'm having a weird issue with right now, too. In my case, though, everything functions normally if I manually push the arm down. But when the engine pushes it down (and I physically watched the engine push the arm down) it doesn't register at the gauge - the trim readout just stays at full up with the top LCD bar blinking. Strange, huh? Anyways, I'm getting off topic here as your issue is different than mine.

Trim gauges are just a guide, anyways. One trim setting will never work for all conditions. Your butt is the best trim gauge ever made... and that one rarely fails...

Rodbolt - what type of spray lube do you like? A silicone type?
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
      X