2006 4 stroke Yamaha F150hp powerhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 4 stroke Yamaha F150hp powerhead

Hi, New member. Motor F150TXR has 1700 hrs, very low compression on 2 cylinders. In need of rebuilt powerhead. Anyone have suggestions on where to buy one? Also are there any DIY treads on removing and installing?

Thanks, Jeff
    Last edited by fish4stripers; 07-22-2014, 08:18 PM.

Which cylinders? My guess is numbers two and three.

Many, many places to get your power plant rebuilt, or to buy a rebuilt one, or to buy a new one.

No DIY threads that I know of.

Comment

Yeah, it is cylinders 2 and 3. Is it cheaper to have someone rebuild it than to just buy a rebuilt and replace myself?

Comment

Originally posted by fish4stripers View Post
        Yeah, it is cylinders 2 and 3. Is it cheaper to have someone rebuild it than to just buy a rebuilt and replace myself?
        Is it just the block that is damaged or is the head also damaged? Repair costs will vary widely depending upon the extent of the damage.

You might contact Jasper Engines to see what they have to say about costs for either (1) rebuilding your motor or (2) selling you a rebuilt motor with your damaged motor being traded in for whatever credit they may offer.

Jasper Marine Products

Also, any good machine repair shop that does auto block rebuilds might be able to repair your block, again depending upon the extent of the damage. You will just have to get on the phone and start calling.

A replacement new block from Yamaha is over five grand and a new head is pushing two grand. I would not sink that much coin into a seven year old motor but that is just me. A completely new motor can be had for about twelve grand.

Let's talk about the damage. The F150 is a high compression ratio motor and it does not have a knock sensor. It is prone to detonation damage which is my guess as to what caused your motor to fail. Seen it many times. Cylinders two and three generally take the hit. The fuel needs to be kept clean and fresh. Also important to have the best propeller installed so as to not be lugging the motor. Maybe you will want to run 89/91 octane as a measure of prevention. I have seen brand new blocks installed without the fuel system being checked. The new block quickly gets destroyed just like the old block did if old stanky fuel gets fed to it. And that is not a warrantable failure.

If the boat has a clear plastic fuel tank that is exposed to the sun either get rid of the tank or find a way to keep any sunlight from getting to it. Sunlight can and will reduce the octane rating of gasoline and it does not take long.

Yamaha was obviously asleep at the design table when they created this model and forgot to add a knock sensor.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks, going to get it into a machine shop to see where the problem is.

Comment

these motors actually dirt stupidly simple to overhaul. took me a couple and a few F350 and F250 to figure it out.
            time consuming yes.
            make ya think like a nip, almost.
            the Japanese, similar to the swedes don't like writing service manuals for spot repairs.

Comment

Working...
            X