Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constant Alarm

99 Yamaha 60tlr 2 stroke.

Because of hard cold start conditions, I removed and cleaned the carbs. In doing so I repaired the Primestart ground wire and replaced the motor mounted fuel pump. The boat now starts beautifully on first attempt. Even though the tell tale was spirting water, I was getting the alarm. I replaced the water pump and gaskets and continued to hear the alarm. I removed the thermostat and confirmed water was flowing to top of motor, cleaned thermostat and reinstalled. I disconnected one wire from the temp sensor and continue to hear alarm immediately at turn of key to run position. The intensity of the alarm drops with start up of motor.

i have investigated the low oil sensor on line and believe all line are correctly mounted, not crimped with a full oil tank.

Unless hearing otherwise, my plan is to launch boat and see if alarm stops on it’s on. I also welcome any additional tests I can perform.

Tom

running a motor that has a problem hoping it will go away is never a good idea.
    find the problem and fix it.

sounds like the motor does not even need to be running and the alarm is sounding

why would you think the stat or water pump had a problem if the motor was cold and not running when the alarm sounds?
    Last edited by 99yam40; 05-29-2019, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Well, my understanding is the alarm sounds to alert to high temperature or no oil. As mentioned, I confirmed water wasn’t the problem by replacing water pump, and confirming water to the thermostat. I removed heat sensor wire and alarm continued. The oil sensor is the only thing I haven’t touched.

Comment

My 1999 C40TLRX has 2 temp switches,
        one if for telling the CDI the motor has warmed up .
        the other is to tell it that the motor is over heating.
        does your motor have 2?

but if the problem is the alarm sounding without the motor running and heated up, I do not see how the stat or the water pump would have anything to do with causing it to alarm.

do you have any gauges?
        if so what does that tell you?

when the key is turned to the on position the buzzer should get 12 V+ to it, to make it sound something has to ground the other side for it to make noise.

find out what is grounding it

Comment

So you started to get the alarm AFTER you were fooling with the prime start?

If so, go back and undo what you did and see if the alarm goes away.

Comment

Thanks for the interest in my problem.

No gages. Humm.. I grounded the primestart to the motor, one of the carb bolts. Easy to undo.

Comment

did this motor start alarming without running the motor right after you did something(changed things) or did it start coming in after running awhile but now is something that is new.

and you did not answer my other question about how many temp switches
              Last edited by 99yam40; 05-29-2019, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Well, I just learned that a. It wasn’t the primestart ground but the oil switch ground and b. That when I cut the oil switch ground to motor my alarm stopped. So tomorrow I will-ground this wire to the casing and not the motor. Thanks for the challenge. Will confirm ok in am.

Comment

A ground is a ground, so I do not see how changing the location of the ground will change anything.

not sure what you are calling the casing

Comment

One temp sensor.

Yes, I understand that a ground is a ground. I found the black wire, from the oil level harness, with a broken ring connector. And, not seeing where it was connected on the motor or inside the bottom cowling, I connected it to the motor. AND the constant alarm condition started. When I removed this connection, the constant alarm stops.

I assume that my oil level sensor was inoperative prior to my activity and remains inoperative, so it is on me to monitor oil level.

if anyone knows where to terminate this black wire and restore this safety feature, I appreciate the information.

Comment

Looks to be here

Comment

Man oh man, you da man! On my way to finish this up! Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                        X