Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yama lube $40.00 a gal.... can we stp the madness!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yama lube $40.00 a gal.... can we stp the madness!!!

I just took out a loan to buy some oil, yes it is that bad!! No really can we find some other quality oil that is as good as Yamalube. I would think that there is something a little less expensive, but does just as good of job?????
    Just want some input here!!

can you find a decent gallon of milk that's not dang near 4 bucks a gallon?

Comment

Yea,I get it... I dont like the price of Scotch,either!!!

Comment

Many feel that Pennzoil is equal to or superior to Yamalube. It apparently burns a lot cleaner.

$18 a gallon synthetic blend at Wally World.

Get the Pennzoil XLF TC-W3 Engine Oil at an always low price from Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

0r $35 for 100% synthetic at Academy

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/pen...-oil/pid-10749
        Last edited by boscoe99; 07-22-2014, 09:09 PM.

Comment

I'll be damned if I feed my baby some cheapo substitute.

Comment

This stuff has been discussed ad nauseam on the internet and good sources for arguments are such as Bob the Oil Guy site...but at the end of the day only data can back up claims. If you got the $$ then buy the expensive stuff if it helps you sleep but real world data often shows no difference with most/many substitutes. Most tests show that all far exceed the TC-W3 standard and it comes down to different detergents as making a few differences. I've read many posts from guys who have fishing fleets and tear of heads and carbs that see no difference between OEM and aftermarket oil on similar engines...so at the end of the day do what you are comfortable with.

One bass man says he's been running wallmart brand for 20 years and has yet to detonate an engine so there is a lot of antidotes either way.

Lastly dispel any rumors that 3rd party oils void manufacture warranties. US laws prohibit this.

Comment

I've been getting Yamalube at Academy Sports for $25/gallon.

Comment

Guess I will wait for Academy sports to get to central Florida.

Comment

I can see where that would be an issue for sure. Where in central florida are you? I'm in Tallahassee and we just got one two years ago. They are a Texas company moving east, so maybe one will near you soon. But $40/gallon for Yamalube seems way out of line to me. Heck, even the dealers around here are $30 or less.

Comment

$68 NZD or $59 USD

For a gallon here in NZ

$1.77 USD for a liter of fuel
                    Last edited by greasyshaft; 07-23-2014, 02:36 AM.

Comment

we sell it as bulk oil for around 25 a gallon.

Comment

Originally posted by amahaork View Post
                        I'll be damned if I feed my baby some cheapo substitute.
                        Yamaha appreciates your business.

Comment

Why pay that much for snake oil?

So what does Yamalube 4M claim, what is the actual benefit? And why the huge Delta in cost? Exactly, no one can explain but they make the motor so one would "assume" they make the best additives and lubricants for it. Well they don't.

Does Yamaha make their own oil? - No. It is just high grade motor oil with some additives. Should these additives (snake oil) make the cost of the oil jump 2x, 3x.....well NO. It is the Yamaha name that does that.
                          Yamaha does not make their own grease, lower unit oil, etc.etc.
                          BTW - Oronite "Chevron" located about 3 miles from my house makes Ringfree for Yamaha. It is a Chevron product that is re-labeled with a Yamaha bottle.

My 10 year old F90's owner's manual says NOTHING about using "Marine Oil". It says API SE-SJ. I've used Penzoil Platinum since it was new with no problems. (10 years, almost 800 hours) If this was Yamaha's guidance back in 2004 you cannot tell me they "all of a sudden" found out that you now NEED to use a marine rated oil. Give me a break.

Also - read this forum. I DON'T see posts labeled, "I ruined my motor by using XYZ Motor oil instead of Yamalube!" -- So save your money and spend it on Non-Ethanol fuel as it seems 75% of the posts on here are fuel related problems! Everything else will fail on these motors because of the marine environment before your engine internals wear out due to using (Insert Oil Brand Here).

Comment

I stay out of these "which oils are the best" arguments.

Too much personal opinion involved. Like Ford versus Chevy or Yamaha versus Etec or two strokes versus four strokes.

But you are right, oil related failures in cars, trucks, planes and trains (and outboard motors), because of the quality of the oil, are all but non-existent.

Comment

Working...
                            X