Automatic oil transfer (cdi?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whuuut???
    n your checking a switch and maybe 10 ft of wire.
    should see less than 1.5 ohms or so max.
    if ya really wanna get freaky use the diode check setting on the meter.
    getting back to what Boscoe said.
    this is a stupidly simple system that uses 4 switches, NO sensors and is a basic truth table.
    it will trouble shoot itself if you pay attention, fog horn leghorn style.
    3 switchs in the engine tank, on or off.
    SW1 pump off, SW2 pump on.
    SW3 pump on,RPM reduction and red lamp/far left bar audible on.
    a quick test? drain the engine tnk via the water trap.
    turn the key on, make sure the remote tank is at least 1/2 full.
    you should get 3 bars flashing,pump on for 180 seconds and done,
    I have beat PBS to death on this and other sites.

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
      The fault you are describing is almost always bad/broken/corroded wiring or ground. Continuity is kind of the same as a resistance test (commonly called ohming out) but, the meter simply is a yes/no result, whereas a true resistance measurement gives a result in Ohms, if doing resistance measurements, the expected result should be known, or the indication means nothing.
      all true,
      I guess I always looked at it as the continuity test should give you the basic same ohms as touching your 2 meter leads together.( anything much over that ohms reading means a bad connection somewhere)

Comment

A broken wire is one thing. Clearly there will be infinite resistance or no continuity. Won't work. Pretty easy to troubleshoot.

A bad/corroded wire may fool the mechanic. Resistance test or continuity test may show the wire to be OK. An unloaded test for voltage may indicate all is well. When in fact it is not.

Comment

Remember there are only volts and amps, ohm is somewhat make believe, it just represents the relationship between volts and amps in a circuit ( Ohm = Volts/Ampere )
          What confuses is often wires are thin and long and it is not known what their resistance should be. Ideally, as was suggested, 12 volts should be applied at one end and a suitable load placed at the other end to induce sufficient current to flow, that current being say 5 or 10 amps or so for the thickness of the wire encountered. So as an easy example, if a resistor of 3 ohm doesn't produce near 4 amps, you have faulty wiring.

Comment

Can't say that I 100% agree with that lot!

Comment

Can't say that I 100% agree with that lot!
              Just that at 13# Boscoe mentioned the test few people do to pass X current and measure voltage drop.
              It requires a bit of isolation, but I have two leads with a blown one element headlight bulb, a 65watt halogen and the other 35 watts (didn't want to throw these out just because one filament is broken). I connect another thick cable from 12v and easily can check that whichever wire is sound by the brightness of the bulb, no meter measurements whatsoever required.

Comment

I don't think Ohms are make believe, I also am not too keen of the formula Ohms=volts/amps.

Comment

I don't think Ohms are make believe, I also am not too keen of the formula Ohms=volts/amps.
                  What are you saying? What do you mean by you are not to keen on the basic formula for the relationship between volts, ohms and amperes?

If you know any two of the three, what do you use to calculate the other if you don't like or believe in Ohms law?

Comment

Those laws are tough. Hard for me to disagree with. I tried to ignore the law of gravity one time. Hurt like hell.

Comment

Not saying you can't work out the resistance (Ohms) but it is usually used in that way to find watts, or load/output, from that, then the resistance can be worked out if need be

Comment

volts X amps = Watts

Comment

As I understand it, Ohms law does not deal with power. In watts or any other unit of measure.

Ohms law deals with voltage (E), current (I) and resistance (R). E = I/R. I = E/R. R = E/I.

Whilst it is true that volts times amperes equal power, that is seldom needed in troubleshooting an outboard motor. But if one feels the need to consider a loaded circuit as being powered, and beneficial to a voltage drop test, then I won't disagree with them. In fact, I will agree with them.

Comment

To add further fuel to this fire.
                            A voltmeter has to consume some POWER to give a reading: it is a large resistor in parallel to a circuit measured.
                            When we measure current, or use an amp meter, we are using a low resistor in series to a circuit.
                            We, however, in measuring current are only ABLE to measure voltage over a resistor: an amp meter is really just a volt meter in parallel with a very small resistor.
                            So we only need to really measure VOLTAGE to calculate amps or ohms, and if one wishes watts!😏
                            Voltaire wins, the other three people rode on the back of his discovery.
                            Last edited by zenoahphobic; 06-01-2019, 08:28 PM.

Comment

I always get it wrong, Voltaire was the writer, its that Italian chap Volta. And Watts had absolutely nothing to do with electricity, steam engines was his stuff.
                              Now getting closer to the actual subject, it was Edison that invented the electrical wire! As intimated before Ohms don't exist. Ohm's law came about when Ohm discovered that when current flows there was a direct relationship with voltage across the circuit.
                              So Ohm equals volt divided by amps is not really a recognised formula, it was something I just deduced.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                                As I understand it, Ohms law does not deal with power. In watts or any other unit of measure.

Ohms law deals with voltage (E), current (I) and resistance (R). E = I/R. I = E/R. R = E/I.

Whilst it is true that volts times amperes equal power, that is seldom needed in troubleshooting an outboard motor. But if one feels the need to consider a loaded circuit as being powered, and beneficial to a voltage drop test, then I won't disagree with them. In fact, I will agree with them.
                                Not saying you can't work out the resistance (Ohms) but it is usually used in that way to find watts, or load/output, from that, then the resistance can be worked out if need be
                                I was just trying to say that (P)watts = E times I , and Ohms = E divided by I.
                                I thought someone got confused

Comment

Working...
                                X