Yamaha fuel gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha fuel gauge

Hello…. I have a 2000 306 Grady White, repowered with 250 four strokes last year. For the first time ever the fuel gauge is being erratic. The boat has twin 150 gallon tanks, a rocker switch switches the fuel gauge between the two tanks. Left the dock #1 tank showed five bars, # 2 tank showed two bars. Running both engines on #1 tank, thirty minutes later # 1 tank showed 2 bars, #2 tank one bar. *****ed for a while without change. Fif**** minutes into my return trip the tanks showed four and two bars. I know nothing, however it seems to me it could not be sending unit, as there is one on each tank. Something in gauge or rocker switch or ground wire??? Any ideas how to check it out?

Thanks….Jerry

Gain access to the senders.

Remove the pink wire from each sender.

With the key on, select the left tank. The gauge should indicate that the tank is empty.

Short the pink wire to the left tank directly to a known good ground source. Wait a bit of time. The gauge should now show the tank to be full.

Repeat the process for the other tank. Shift the switch to the right tank. Results should be the same.

This will tell you that the gauge, the wiring, and the switch are good.

If the senders are the type I am thinking of they are known to be problematic, even when new. 14 years old now and they don't get better with time. If you need new senders I suggest www.centroidproducts.com

Comment

***.......thank you very much........ I will give it a try in the morning......jk

Comment

Working...
      X