Breaking in a "new" old motor..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post

Yes, lots of heat cycles, to control Thermal runaway, where a tight engine creates more heat that causes expansion of parts making it tighter causing more heat......It is surprising how a hot engine is allowed to cool that upon next running actually runs cooler.

You being a motorcycle man, you would also have noticed that a motorcycle does take time to settle in. This is indicated by seemingly increase in performance still evident after several thousand miles. My XSR 700 keeps going harder, it now has 3000 km.
    Now there maybe an argument that I am not running this bike in hard enough, but it is hard to change conservative ways that proved prudent earlier in my 50 years of motoring!
    My only bike now, a Yamaha FZ6, I bought used from my friend as his kids first bike. Unfortunately, the first 4,500 miles (when I bought it), ESPECIALLY the first few miles was LOTS of idling, learning how to clutch, COOLANT-cooling fan kicking on a BUNCH. Everything you SHOULDN'T do...

And yes, it's difficult to break in a bike, higher RPM's, when second gear does 100MPH...

With that said, this engine is Yamaha rock solid, dependable as a brick and runs better NOW, with 27,000 miles on the clock than new. Again, doesn't burn oil, runs like a raped ape past 8,000RPM's. I did have to adjust two exhaust valves at 26,600, just a tad tight.

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

50 years of motoring should put you in mid sixties now is my guess.
      I had a moped that I rode to elementary school, 4h or 5th grade
      parked it with all of the regular bikes in a bike rack

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        50 years of motoring should put you in mid sixties now is my guess.
        I had a moped that I rode to elementary school, 4h or 5th grade
        parked it with all of the regular bikes in a bike rack
        I'm 68.
        You reach certain milestones in life. Currently I'm continually pointing out to motorcyclists and bike shop staff, that I have had my riders licence 50 years! (Have been riding even longer). I suppose I do this to tone down the crap I continually get from them, one does become grumpier as one ages.
        I am no longer ashamed to admit I had a moped, it was a Sachs with heavy duty cyclist pedals that had three gears. Wore it out first month going to Uni. Couldn't save up money on my meagre scholarship to replace it. A year later I bought a brand new Bultaco, the cheapest available in the 250cc category.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
          I'm 68.
          You reach certain milestones in life. Currently I'm continually pointing out to motorcyclists and bike shop staff, that I have had my riders licence 50 years! (Have been riding even longer). I suppose I do this to tone down the crap I continually get from them, one does become grumpier as one ages.
          I am no longer ashamed to admit I had a moped, it was a Sachs with heavy duty cyclist pedals that had three gears. Wore it out first month going to Uni. Couldn't save up money on my meagre scholarship to replace it. A year later I bought a brand new Bultaco, the cheapest available in the 250cc category.
          Bultaco's had street bikes? They were popular in the 70's, motocross racing. As I re-call, most of them we're 250's.

My first street bike was a 1975 Yamaha RD 350 (two stroke twin)..

I have 44 years street experience (now 60)… The only schooling was two advanced Police Motorcycle classes (on the Harleys, Iron cross, figure 8's, etc.
          Un-real what you can do with the proper training even on a big beast like those..

This is my only and favorite all around bike I've ever owned (the FZ6):

Boy has this thread de-railed...
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

I have 44 years street experience (now 60)… The only schooling was two advanced Police Motorcycle classes (on the Harleys, Iron cross, figure 8's, etc.
            Un-real what you can do with the proper training even on a big beast like those..

Boy has this thread de-railed...
            About 50 years ago I went to take my practical motor cycle test. There were about 15 or so of us. Many on 90 cc Honda's were failing. They complained the test was unrealistic. A cop on a big Harley came over and did the test damn near with one hand. It was amazing.

Oh, I failed on my Honda 350. Humiliating.

Comment

My Bultaco Metralla had road racing heritage. My friend had an RD 350, just couldn't quite beat him!
              I remember that same friend used to borrow another friend's Honda 350 prior to the introduction of the RD!
              I love Yamaha, the bikes are far more interesting than the outboards, I have two road registered and others (maybe 3 more).
              I am considering buying another, the 900 Tracer GT but I can be persuaded to purchase the ****n that has the same 3 cylinder motor (Yammies best seller motor in MT 09 variants).
              You only live once, and as long as I still can ride, I intend to till I drop. Bikes of today are brilliant and incredibly easy to ride and under a helmet and gear nobody can tell that I am a geriatric. Grey beard poking out might be a giveaway.

Dont know why the edit, the bike is the three wheeler named Two Swords in Japanese.
              Last edited by zenoahphobic; 05-28-2019, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Way back then, my friend had a HD Sportster, (1000cc or 1200, forgot). But drag racing, the RD would take him (and he put a boat load of $ of chrome / HD crap on on it).

Now on the highway, he'd walk away with the torque of his engine...

I was up to 4 bikes at one point, 04 G0ldwing, 04 Yamaha FJR1300, 05 Kawasaki KLR 250, then bought the Yamaha FZ to replace the Kawasaki. Maintenance was getting to be a PIA, especially on the wing.

With some re-building (been laid down several times) / aftermarket pipes / personal mods, I fell in love with my 2007 FZ. Ended up selling everything else...

And the same as you, I'll be riding until I can't..

Way back in 1977, in NY, there was a bike road test. My friend (hippie with the HD) followed in my car with the inspector. I was instructed which way to proceed. My friend drove like an old lady and I don't think the inspector ever saw me...I passed (I did have two years of MX racing / enduro riding under my belt so I was pretty experienced at that point)

When we moved to Florida in 1979, there was NO ROAD test. Even if you didn't have an out of state MC license, you just paid a fee and GOT YOUR motorcycle endorsement. That's since changed..
                Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-28-2019, 07:25 AM.
                Scott

Comment

A test ride was required in 1968 when I did it in rural Victoria Australia.
                  Motorcycling has proven beneficial health benefits for older riders: slight elevation of blood pressure (like that raised when walking), improvement in motor skills and brain processing functions, balance and fitness from manhandling this machinery.
                  All prolonging old age from setting in.
                  My strategy is that I try to ride the lightest, no heavy monsters like HD or Goldwings etc. but I am working my way up again (have my old very heavy VF1000f on list to restore and ride under Club registration. I have my Can Am trike to fall back on.......and have been keeping my eye on mobility scooters, there are quite some sporty trikes out there that eventually I can use in the nursing home when that time comes.....they will be able to find their own way around by then making that task easier when I get to the stage when I can't remember where I am.🙂🙂

Comment

Back in 69 I think, I took my driving test on a Honda 305 that I replaced pistons in when my brother left for the army . the bike was his and he had burnt a hole in a piston.

anyway the only thing they dinged me on was not turning my head far enough for him to see for sure I was looking both ways at intersections.

I jumped on a loaded cop HD once to run it up into the shop for state inspection had to make the block and finally stop it back in the drive to make the turn up into the shop.
                    that was like balancing a car cut in half. dam that thing was heavy.
                    I road some K1000s and a few other bikes that were easy, but the HD was way out of my comfort zone.
                    brother brought home a Norton 650 I think when he came home from Germany in 74 that you had to hang on to,
                    that thing would run out from under you if you were not careful

I finally dropped my M license after having kids and not riding for many years.
                    too many friends got hurt on them. I will be 67 in oct
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 05-28-2019, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Love all motorcycles..have driven or owned everything from a Honda 50 to Yamaha R1. Ones that stand out for me are Kawasaki triple 500 and 750, Yamaha RD 350, Honda XR 500, Kawasaki ZRX 1200 and Kawasaki KZ 900/1000.
                      Most fun to drive was RD 350. Most dangerous, but super exciting..any 2 stroke motocross bike!!

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                        Love all motorcycles..have driven or owned everything from a Honda 50 to Yamaha R1. Ones that stand out for me are Kawasaki triple 500 and 750, Yamaha RD 350, Honda XR 500, Kawasaki ZRX 1200 and Kawasaki KZ 900/1000.
                        Most fun to drive was RD 350. Most dangerous, but super exciting..any 2 stroke motocross bike!!
                        Had a 2000 Kawasaki ZRX 1100, BUT, it wasn't green. Black with silver and gold trim, SUPER SHARP looking... Had to wait a year to get it..

Fast bike but a little tight(comfort wise).

I raced YZ 125's and 250's (two strokes), first year of the mono-shock (1975). The 501 Maico's were TORQUE monsters, only needed 4 gears, and used mostly TWO gears on the entire track. I miss the two strokes.. Although now, their getting way more HP/torque out of 4 strokes.

The Kawi triples were also fast. My brother had a 500..

Scott

Comment

Maybe not available in the USA, but many top brands do make two stroke racing enduros after a somewhat hiatus due to government emission reduction pressures.
                          Come to Australia if you have to, my son says the new two strokes are insane, have the incredible high end but low now also. Not as if technological advancement in two strokes ever took a holiday!

Comment

Working...
                          X