150 outboard won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150 outboard won't start

I went to start the 150 saltwater series, turned the key and nothing. not a sound. i have a dual battery setup and it was only on 1 battery. battery tests good. key switch has a choke option and trying to start it a few more times using the choke got it started. after running for awhile, turning it off it started right back up. I would turn it off, let it sit and most times it would start. A few times when you turn the key nothing happens but after a few tries it starts. Battery switch set to either single battery or to both did not appear to have an impact on knowing if it would start or not. Also have a battery isolator in place.

This was going to be the second trip of the season. Last trip out it also did not start once but at the time I thought I did not turn the key far enough but now suspect this was also a problem then.

Did not have this problem last season.

Any suggestions on what to check. All connection look solid.

TIA

is your saftey lanyard switch in need of a cleaning?

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

I did at one point check that the kill switch was securely in place and it was. The setup is a hard plastic part that when removed by pulling the lanyard allows a "button" to go in which kills the engine. Unlike a 15 horse honda setup like this you can not push in this button to kill then engine, you must remove the lanyard which allows the button to go in. The actually electric components of the switch are enclosed behind the panel in the key assembly which is a sealed unit.

I will check that again but when it does not start nothing was done with the lanyard and after a few tries of turning the key it does start.

The positive cable post under the engine cover looked good and I did tighten that nut so it was secure. When I turn the key and if it does not start the instrument guages do come on (voltage and fuel capacity).

Connections to the starter looked solid.

Comment

you need to test elect system, does it have 12 volts going to ign. switch, is there 12 volts going to brown wire when key in start position, is going through neutral safty switch in control box and going to start solenoid on engine

Comment

Working...
        X