Stiff steering at high speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stiff steering at high speed

Ok, dumb question, but I gotta ask. I've got a 2001 skeeter with 225 vmax and 10" jack plate. Got the motor adjusted as high as it will go before venting occurs at speed on plane.

When I trim it up at speed, say 50 mph+, in order to get the nose up and least water resistance, the steering gets so stiff you gotta use 2 hands to turn it practically. This typically occurs when I'm winding it out for my own amusement, particularly when the fish aren't biting.

If I lower the trim, the steering improves once the nose gets low enough that I can no longer skate across the water like a floating bullet, which of course defeats the whole purpose for owning a bass boat that goes 70mph+.

If attempting to go wot top end, this stiff steering renders the boat useless for anything other than a straight line. So, what is the deal? Do others find the same thing?

one of your cables are failing.
    I solved mine by ditching the dual cable setup and went to a K6 cylinder hydraulic.
    no more fighting the helm at 65 MPH.

Comment

Sorry, I should have stated I have hydraulic steering. And the stiff steering occurs regardless of jack plate height setting.

Comment

Any thoughts here? Anybody?

Comment

I believe I have read that the size of the ram cylinder and the helm pump make a difference.
          Maybe even a booster pump thingy may be an option, do not know what they are called

Comment

Is it stiff in both directions equally or stiffer in one direction than the other?

Comment

Stiff in Both directions. More one way than the other, but still hard to turn either way.

Had all the bushings replaced and seals in steering hydraulics too. Still the same.

Comment

Working...
              X