Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 225 SWS Fuel issue.

I have twin 97,225's on my Grady White.
    I started the engines a month ago and all was fine.

The other day the engines would spin but not fire over.
    I changed filters, checked spark, prime, kill switch. All seemed to be fine.

It appears that I am getting fuel to the Fuel injection pump but the pump is not drawing fuel in. This is the same with both engines.

They will start and run for a second with a mist of starting fluid.

I am thinking that it is an electrical issue but it is the same with both engines.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    VC

Can you post the actual model # of the engines. There's 6 or 7 variations of that engine..
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

From what I can make out (Model # is faded) it looks like they are the L225TXRV.

I am getting plenty of flow to the pump but I can not seem to get any fuel out. I hooked up a direct line with a primer to the glass bowl inlet.

I have power to the red/yellow lead to pump.

This is the same with both engines so I am thinking it is a common problem.
      I can't imagine the two pumps going at the same time.

Thanks,
      VC

Comment

Yepper, thats it;

1997 L225TXRV Yamaha Outboard Parts

Is the VST filling up with fuel? There's a drain screw at the base of it, fuel should come out if fuel is making it past the needle valve. (recently, a member had that needle freeze up in the bore badly and wouldn't allow fuel in)

If you look at the parts fisch, theres a float, needle and seat to allow fuel into there.

@boscoe, @rodbolt
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-21-2014, 09:28 PM.
        Scott

Comment

Yes, I drained it from the screw for fear of bad fuel and forced as much fresh fuel in with the ball primer from a remote fuel tank. I get plenty of fuel in from the pumps when I spin it over.

I tried everything I could think of to get fuel flow out of it. The engines will kick over with a mist of starting fluid.

I am just stumped that this is happening with both engines. I have some experience with engines but this is a little beyond me.

I have the boat on blocks in my yard and have tried to contact several mobile mechanics but I guess they are all too busy, I can't even get a return call.

Thanks for the help.

VC

Comment

Yep, pump or electrical to the pump I would guess at this point.

With both engnes doing the same thing, I don't know what common part is, that's failing.

To my knowledge the ECU, (puter) controls power to the pump and each engine has its own...

Boscoe, Rodbolt??

PM Boscoe if they don't chime in. Rodbolt doesn't check PM's
            Scott

Comment

I have power to the pumps but they don't appear to be working. I even put direct power to them but still nothing.

Is there an internal sensor or switch that could be preventing them from operating? Or perhaps a fuse to the computer that may be out?

Should I be able to hear a hum once they are working? I originally thought the fuel had gone bad but even with fresh fuel still nothing.

They started and ran perfect a month ago.

It certainly has me baffled.

Thanks again for the help.

VC

Comment

After reading some posts here in the forum I have learned that the HP fuel pump should run for a few seconds after turning the key switch to on.

I have never heard that during the troubleshooting. Should I be able to hear it standing next to it or feel the vst tank vibrating?

Could some dirty fuel have clogged them up?

This applies to both engines.

Comment

Rodbolt will likely correct me, (apples to banana's ) but to my knowledge, when you initially turn the key on, the pump will run to pressurize the fuel rail. I just looked at the fuel rail on the parts fisch and I didn't see any schreader valve to hook up to to check pressure.

You had the pumps themselves out, put 12 volts to them and they did nothing??
                  Scott

Comment

No, I did not remove them. I put a direct power line to it.

I was told that if the batteries were low or weak the engine would still spin but may not be providing enough amp to run the pump.
                    Could this be possible?

I have had the charger running but never tested the batteries.

Thanks Again,
                    VC

Comment

I can't comment on the pumps, IDK. I did PM Boscoe to chime in...

I would however, charge the batteries fully and have them load tested. Rule them good or not... Any auto parts, Walmart, etc, will check them for free...(best way)

A simple way as well to check the batteries is also wth a volt meter. Attach it to the battery, you shoudl see roughly 12.8 volts static. With someone turning the key to crank, see how far the voltage drops. It will drop a volt or so if good. If it say drops to 8 or 9 volts, its likely toast.

The engine(s) does need a certain amount of volts/amps to start(electric's to run, starter amp pull, Fuel PUMP, etc)

That is one COMMON part that connects the two engines.. to have the same issue....
                      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-23-2014, 09:19 AM.
                      Scott

Comment

Townsend,
                        Thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

I will keep trying.

VC

Comment

I took off the VST tank and removed the fuel pumps on both engines.

I put direct power to them and I can feel them try to kick on but they will not spin.

How is it possible both pumps in both engines seized at the same time? The fuel was about 16 months old and stabilized. I did not look or smell bad when I drained the VST tanks. I have both pumps capped and sitting full of lubricant and am planning to let them soak over-nite and hopefully, free up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
                          VC

Comment

Originally posted by VCINRI63 View Post

I put direct power to them and I can feel them try to kick on but they will not spin.

How is it possible both pumps in both engines seized at the same time? The fuel was about 16 months old and stabilized. I did not look or smell bad when I drained the VST tanks. I have both pumps capped and sitting full of lubricant and am planning to let them soak over-nite and hopefully, free up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
                            VC
                            Will those pumps themselves unbolt and come apart or are the pressed together (un-serviceable)?

If they can come apart, you have nothing to loose, but gently pull them apart, clean and remove whatever crap has it seized.

If not, I'd do what your already doing, maybe gently tap it and blow some air in there to try and loosen up any crap. (I've found PB Blaster to be WAY better than any other product for loosening up bolts)

I would soak it in fuel and flush it often into a clean container and see if anythings coming out and your making any headway.

Anything mechainical will fail over time. Depending on how tight the clearances are, varnish and crap will make it worse depending on the part.

I recently un seized a VERY LOCKED UP 5 HP Honda horizontal engine, without pulling anything but the spark plug. (junk motor/pressure washer pitched for the trash man).

Soaked the cylinder with oil for quite awhile and put a vise grip on the shaft sleeve.

Took awile, but got it moving back and forth.. Cleaned the carb, fueled it up, started on the first pull and ran great! No smoke, no knocking, etc.

Put the pressure pump back on, my Dad's now got a 2300 PSI PW that'll start on the first pull!
                            Scott

Comment

After soaking in solvent overnight I got one of the pumps to start working again.

I now have the other soaking and will try it in the morning. The common link had to be the fuel even though it still looks and smells fine.

VC

Comment

Working...
                              X