225TLRS Prime start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 225TLRS Prime start

from what I see, there no way to replace a single sol on this unit as Yamaha does not list a PN for the sol. Am I right? Basically you have to replace the whole part. $$$$$$.
    Thanks

What is an SOL?

Comment

Regarding PrimeStart components for your model motor, here is the stuff that once (may still be) available from Yamaha.

I suspect that you may be asking about the electromagnetic valves. No item number is shown so apparently they are (never were) available as separate components. According to the Yam parts catalog anyway.

Comment

yep. I was looking at the same fisch and that was why I was asking the question. Basically the same question that you helped me with on the cam/throttle roller. I thought it would be described as a solenoid, my bad.

Comment

electro magnetic valve, solenoid, flux capacitor.
          its all the same
          kinda like the difference between an IAC valve and an ISC valve.
          are you sure yours are bad?
          simple to test.
          its a freaking 12 electric device.
          all the ECU does is apply the ground path based on signals from the CTS and the TPS and the knock sensor.
          if you get no fuel to them guess what you get out of them?
          that's also why the have a MANUAL lever.

Comment

Originally posted by mygrady1 View Post
            yep. I was looking at the same fisch and that was why I was asking the question. Basically the same question that you helped me with on the cam/throttle roller. I thought it would be described as a solenoid, my bad.
            I looked to see if I could find a part number (ala the roller) but no joy. Some times with Yamaha you have to look to find stuff. Like a trim cylinder or tilt cylinder cap for instance. Or, the roller. Data is not their strong suit.

There is a procedure in the service manual that describes how to test the electromagnetic valve for functionality. Send me an email address via PM and I will provide it to you.

Comment

Is it not possible the internals, (diaphrams, etc) could have a leak/fail and the electro part works?

Doesn't look that difficult to pull apart and inspect.
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I have replaced all gaskets on PS and replaced both FPs. Boscoe was kind enough to send me a testing procedure for the prime start but I don't have a pressure/vacuum gage. His instructions also said NOT to apply 12V to the sols as it would fry them. I thought they received 12v on key on. I thought maybe I could unscrew the sols and test the pellets for movement, but now I'm scared to do that. I don't understand because the sols would have 12v applied at key on.
                Kind of confused.

Comment

Can you check the voltage from the engine wiring harness, that goes into the solenoid and see what the voltage is (when PS should activate)?
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

dude
                    these are not electrothermal valves.
                    they are simple solinoids that go click or nothing.
                    this aint rocket science its simple 12v DC electronics.
                    12v to engine ground is always there, the ECU controls the ground path to make the device work.
                    kinda like a freaking light switch.
                    on or your in the dark wandering.

Comment

Originally posted by mygrady1 View Post
                      I have replaced all gaskets on PS and replaced both FPs. Boscoe was kind enough to send me a testing procedure for the prime start but I don't have a pressure/vacuum gage. His instructions also said NOT to apply 12V to the sols as it would fry them. I thought they received 12v on key on. I thought maybe I could unscrew the sols and test the pellets for movement, but now I'm scared to do that. I don't understand because the sols would have 12v applied at key on.
                      Kind of confused.
                      The devices DO have 12 volts applied to them when the key is on. However, they don't have a ground. No ground means no current flow. No current flow means that you won't fry them.

What the manual is trying to tell you is to not apply a 12 volt power source and a ground directly to the device. Apparently it is not designed for a continuous current flow. Remember, this component is only used to provide additional fuel for a cold start so it is not going to be powered for very long. Some idiot might connect both 12 volt positive and a ground and then walk off to have a 30 minute smoke break. He would come back to find the device damaged and would want to blame it on Yamaha.

If you will look at the instructions again they specify that one specific wire be disconnected from the device. The key is then turned on. No current will flow because a wire is disconnected. THEN the disconnected wire is shorted to ground just long enough to verify that pressure in the valve is released.

Regarding the pressure tester, if you are not willing to purchase some test equipment then how do you ever plan to perform satisfactory trouble shooting?

Yamaha data is crap but it is usually all that is available. Frustrating I know.

I guess to those that have never had any data it seems adequate. I come out of aviation where data is everything. Yamaha data to me is abysmal.

Comment

there is a HUGE difference in continuous duty solinoids and intermittent.
                        injectors are intermittent devices as well.

the electrovalves on the 225TLRS serve several functions.
                        they can allow extra fuel at cold start.
                        they can allow extra fuel at rapid acceleration and can supply extra fuel at spark knock detect.
                        but the ECU controls the ground path.
                        like it was explained, no ground path no current flow.
                        no current flow no worky worky of the device.
                        no data nessasary for testing them just a basic knowledge of electronics.

Comment

Working...
                        X