No announcement yet.

Ox 66 smoking bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We also drained the vst and hooked up an external gas tank to make it sure none of the symptons are fuel related. No change.

Comment

We took another look at the oil pump o ring and decided to change the o ring since it was $10 part. The yamaha service tech suggested fuel pumps first and then suggested a whole new oil pump after I told him the pumps were brand new. Are these known to go bad? I have heard of the linkage rod breaking but not the pump. Looking for feedback before I drop more money on another part.

Comment

I have seen the pump shft seal fail.
        typically the bottom 2 cyl will show excessive oil.

Comment

We changed the seal on the shaft and the one between the block and pump. The service tech we are dealing with is loaning a spare oil pump to try.

Comment

We took the boat out last weekend and both motors drank oil. We burned 160 gallons of gas and 7 gallons of oil between the two. That is roughly 22:1 ratio. Is there any way to test the oil pumps?

Comment

service manual should give the test procedure and the amount of CCs measured at certain RPMs over a certain time period

Make sure you run it on premix while measuring oil out put

Comment

Any chance the engine mounted oil tank is overflowing and the excess oil is getting drained into the air cover and sucked back into the engine?

-- Tom

Comment

It has been hard for me to find time to finish this repair, but had a chance to swap out the oil pumps last weekend. It was the seal on the pump shaft that was causing the issue. I had previously replaced the o-ring that goes between the cranckcase and the oil pump, but it turned out to be the pump itself. It was evident when I took the pump off the block and there was a bunch of oil coming out of the cranckcase. After replacing the oil pump, the smoke is now a normal amount and burning approximately 60:1 on a trip with a bunch of idling.

Comment

Working...
                  X