Alarm sounds when shifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alarm sounds when shifting

I have a 2 station system with 704 controls operating twin 1998 250hp ox66 engines. I removed the second station to transport - and when I reinstalled everything the starboard tach on the tower wasn't working and an alarm sounds at either starboard control when I shift from nuetral to forward. I thought it was a sensor in the actuator but I have no RPM reduction, just the alarm. When I disconnect the pink wire from the actuator harness, the alarm stops. I've done some extensive rewiring since I reinstalled the second station and suspect the problem may be somewhere there. Can anyone start me in the right direction to trouble shoot? One additional note - I had a short in the light blue wires (trim control) between the first station and the engines which I believe I've corrected.

The alarm is signaling that the shift is out of sync. The control shift into gear before actuator shifts. Check cables and cable adjustment at actuator.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I adjusted the cables and sensor so voltage is correct and still have an alarm ringing. It's not happening when I shift into forward now but when I shift out of forward and back to neutral. This is happening intermittently and for a very short "chirp". Can the sensor be bad on the shift box or the actuator,and how can I check it?

Comment

The alarm is controled by the neutral switch in control box and in actuator. Test neutral switch's, the control may have too much end play and may need to be replaced.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Here's a follow up to the alarm problem. After checking cable lengths,voltage, and checking adjustments, I replaced the relay in the shift box. Turns out the armature behind the relay was stuck and not allowing the proper motion. Thanks for the help and putting me in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
          X