installing a rectifier-regulator on a manual 8HP 2 stroke outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing a rectifier-regulator on a manual 8HP 2 stroke outboard

I recently found a cherry '95 8HP 2 stroke manual start Yamaha outboard and bought a Yamaha regulator/rectifier to install so I can charge my battery while I'm *****ing.
    there are two black connections besides the battery black and red connections. One has a short wire directly off of the rect-reg, and another one a distance from the rect-regulator. Are these two black wires simply grounds to be connected to the motor block and one to the boat? The two green male connections are obious, but I am insecure about the two black wires and where they connect. Can anyone help me, please?

I just discovered that the black wire farther away from the regulator/rectifier has continuity with the black battery connecting wire. The short black wire coming directly off of the regulator/rectifier does NOT have continuity with either the battery neg connection or the black wire farther away from the reg/rectifier. Where should I connect both black wires and what is the short black wire directly off of the reg/rectifier for?
    I would really appreciate the help of someone who knows. I am very much a novice, but I'm learning.

Comment

What is the part number of the rectifier/regulator?

Comment

What is the complete model of the motor? Better yet, the complete engine ID.

Comment

The part number is 676-81970-01 and the engine model is 8MLHT.

Comment

Where on the motor would I find the ID #?

Comment

I think I found the engine ID: 6GIL 340502 Y

Comment

Appreciate your help, Boscoe99. Thanks!

Comment

That is just a rectifier. Not a rectifier/regulator.

From what I am seeing there are two input leads, one red output lead and one black ground lead.

https://www.boats.net/product/yamaha...76-81970-01-00

Comment

Connects something like this

Comment

I assume that the short black wire directly off the rectifier would be grounded to the motor block, but where is the second black wire attached? It is in continuity with the black wire connecting to the battery neg, (short black wire is not in continuity with it). Is the second black wire grounded to the boat or to the engine?

What is the part number for the regulator? I understand that without a regulator, the battery keeps being charged and may cause the battery to overheat and its water to boil out and kill the battery. Is that right? Is a regulator available for this 8HP Yamaha.? I thought I was buying a regulator/rectifier kit.

Comment

Originally posted by yaquijuan View Post
                        I assume that the short black wire directly off the rectifier would be grounded to the motor block, but where is the second black wire attached? It is in continuity with the black wire connecting to the battery neg, (short black wire is not in continuity with it). Is the second black wire grounded to the boat or to the engine?

What is the part number for the regulator? I understand that without a regulator, the battery keeps being charged and may cause the battery to overheat and its water to boil out and kill the battery. Is that right? Is a regulator available for this 8HP Yamaha.? I thought I was buying a regulator/rectifier kit.
                        What second black wire? I don't see one? Do you have an actual photo of your specific part?

On an 8 HP two stroke there is no real need for a regulator. The output of the lighting coil is so low that it should not harm your battery.

Click on the link that I posted. It indicates that part number 676-81970-01-00 (same number you posted but with a -00 added) is a rectifier.

Comment

From the Yamaha Marine Rigging and Parts catalog

Comment

Attached is a picture of the rectifier, showiing the two black wires besides the black/red battery connection.. The black wire farthest away from the rectifier is in continuity with the black battery connection. The short black wire coming directly out of the rectifier does not have continuity w the other black wires.

Thank you so much, Boscoe99. I really appreciate your great and kind assistance!

Comment

I think what I am seeing is the rectifier (four wires; a red, a black, a green and a green/white) and a harness (two wires; a red and a black) that is connected to the rectifier and which can be used to supply electrical power from the rectifier to a battery or electrical device.

Comment

Working...
                              X