Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member, first motor problem, long question

2006 Yamaha 90 2 stroke.

I've been running this motor for about two and a half years with no issues. The 100 hr maintenance was done about 24 running hours ago including replacing the impeller. When I replaced the impeller, I found a piece of a previous impeller lodge in the housing and I removed it. I had the impeller replaced two years ago when I bought the boat, and I'm wondering why the tech didn't catch that, but oh well.

I usually run at 4000 RPM just because it seems like a comfortable speed for me and the motor, but today I decised to blow the chunks out of it for a bit. Shortly after I hit 5500 RPM, the alarm came on and it went into limp mode. When I tried to throttle it, it just coughed and bumped untill I let it set a minute or so. While it was sitting, I toped off the oil resevoir which I do when I fill up, so it is never allowed to run dry. My understanding is that on this motor, there are two alarms, one for overheat and the other for low oil in the tank. if that's not correct, please correct me. Anyway, I cranked it up and took off running it in the usual 4000 RPM and there were no issues. I bumped it up again and at around 5000 RPM, the same thing happened and I had to let it sit for a minute or so again. When I took off it did OK at 4000-4500 RPM so the problem appears to be at 5000 RPM and higher.

I stopped at the dealer on my way home and picked up a thermostat, so in the morning, I'll replace that and clean up anything in that area that needs it.

I have a good water stream coming out of the motor, and I just assumed that if that was good, water is being circulated through the motor.. Right or wrong?

I'm also concerned about the piece of impeller that I found and it makes me wonder, thinking back to my sailboat service days, if a piece of the old impeller make have gotten lodged somewhere in the motor and if so, how would I find and remove it, or is there some kind of screen somewhere that would prevent that from happening.

I apologize for the long post, but this really has me worried. I use the boat for my marine business to run service calls, and without it, I'm dead in the water, no pun intended. Hopefully, someone here can offer some guidance and keep me from burning up what I thought was a perfectly good motor.

sounds like youre not getting enough water flow over intake at higher speeds if it is indeed heat

Comment

Working...
    X