Hard Cold Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like the prop hub is toast.

The prop hub can still feel "tight" if manipulating by hand.
    Might want to put it in gear (engine off), then put some weight on the propeller edge of the prop-Trying to rotate it (to help confirm a bad hub)
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by Soundear View Post
      I have a new problem: I took the advice of one of the expert mechanics on this forum and did not use Ether on my 2 cycle but instead mixed a little bit of oil in gas to prime the motor for starting. That seem to do the trick - it’s still not right but at least it’s safer. Then after a day out on the water on my way back I slowed the boat down then went to accelerate again and it seemed as if the motor was cavitating as if I hit a pocket of seaweed or possibly a bag I slowed the boat down to raise the motor to find nothing on the propeller. I put the motor back down to accelerate and still experienced the cavitation or revving within its own place almost as if I spun the prop hub.l I idled back to the dock, raised the motor and took off the prop. I saw no evidence of Of a damaged or separated hub so I check the spindle for any type of fishing line or other debris. I went back out for a ride to only experience the same thing. I decided to rebuild both carburetors with a Sierra kit. I suspected just maybe the floats were sticky or needed some adjustments. The kit did not come with replacement jets, but had all o rings and gaskets to rebuild them. After close inspection all looked good. I changed all gas filters on the motor, in-line and installed an OEM Water/Gas separator. I still have my problem with my engine bogging down upon acceleration to plane the boat. Any ideas?
      is the problem bogging down or prop slipping, those are very different from each other.
      if revving up without pushing the boat as it should, mark the prop and hub and try it again.
      if the marks move, you know you have a bad hub

Comment

Great Ideas,
        Thanks to both of you! My problem is the motor revs.... but the boat "Bogs Down" - or goes nowhere! Sorry for the improper use of terms. I will eliminate the guess work altogether and put an old prop on I have. It would be nice if it was that simple.......

Comment

Originally posted by Soundear View Post
          Great Ideas,
          Thanks to both of you! My problem is the motor revs.... but the boat "Bogs Down" - or goes nowhere! Sorry for the improper use of terms. I will eliminate the guess work altogether and put an old prop on I have. It would be nice if it was that simple.......
          A dollor says its the prop hub!

Please post back what ya find.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Hi Scott!, I'm sorry I didn't post back my findings. Believe it or not, it was a leaky gas connector mounted in the front area of the lower cowl of the engine. Before I put my old prop on to rule in or out the spun hub, I changed out the gas hose connector and I've been good ever since. I too would have bet my last dollar on a spun hub! Strange huh!?

Comment

Working...
            X