87 Yamaha 225 Excel Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 Yamaha 225 Excel Problems

I have an 87 Yamaha 225 excel. I am having some issues with it need some input.
    First off on acceleration as it reaches close to 4000 it shuts itself down to "Survival mode" and putts around like it has no power.

back to shop and started checking sensors. Used an ohmmeter and Found a thermal sensor that was reading even when cold and not supposed to be, and oil level sensor is also reading even though oil tank is full.

Test run today same issue as yesterday. First pulled ground on thermal sensor and it came out of it. Ran great at full throttle if we backed down to 3/4 it developed a miss just under 3/4 miss is gone and cruises along about 35mph.

Ran great for about an hour then I had to slow down due to large amount of chop on water because someone was being towed in. after chop smoothed out went to go again and back to same issue as yesterday. Seemed like it fouled the plugs. would only run about 28 mph full throttle.

Just about to load it up and as my dad was getting the trailer I went upstream one more time and it took right off again. once it reached full throttle rpms dropped again, this time just a little.

TPS has been checked and set to .41 volts closed throttle.

I did notice today that engine does have a noticeable knock in it.
    any help or advise would be great.

sounds like you have damaged your motor if it is knocking.
    Not good to eliminate safeties without finding the real problem.

I would be checking compression to start out with

Comment

Knocking will set off knock sensor and retard timing.
      Also, you need to run 93 octane on the Excel motors.

Comment

Working...
      X