2005 VMAX HPDI Shift/Throttle Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 VMAX HPDI Shift/Throttle Issue

Last time I was out on the water, I noticed the engine would throttle before the forward gear was engaged, causing the boat to jolt suddenly. Not sure if it is as simple as adjusting shift/throttle cables. Any suggestion are appreciated.
    2005 Pathfinder 2200V
    2005 Yamaha 200HP VMAX HPDI

Hello.

Do you mean the boat moved suddenly or just the engine rev-ed up suddenly?
    2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

Boat moved suddenly
      2005 Pathfinder 2200V

Comment

Strange. What is your rpm at idle in neutral (or at least when you think it's in neutral)?

Also, what size is this? The 200 hp?

And did it happen while you had your hand on the throttle control (even if you hadn't moved it yet)?

Comment

But regardless.. sounds like the shift slider/spring or something else in the lower unit. I don't see how your shift linkage could be THAT far off where it would suddenly put the thing in gear like that.

Comment

simple thing to do would be to take the cowling off and watch the shift and throttle linkage to see what is going on

Comment

Originally posted by quar5713 View Post
              Last time I was out on the water, I noticed the engine would throttle before the forward gear was engaged, causing the boat to jolt suddenly. Not sure if it is as simple as adjusting shift/throttle cables. Any suggestion are appreciated.
              I believe what the man is saying is that the rpm at idle is high and when he puts in gear the boat takes off faster than it should. "I notice the engine would throttle BEFORE the foward gear was engaged"

I think he got a high idle problem not a shifting problem.

That is my interpretation of his post. Hopefully he will clarify.

Comment

I take it as the throttle starts raising the RPM before the motor goes into gear, which is backwards from what should happen

Comment

What's the warm idle at (neutral) and what is it as you shift into gear?
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post

I believe what the man is saying is that the rpm at idle is high and when he puts in gear the boat takes off faster than it should. "I notice the engine would throttle BEFORE the foward gear was engaged"

I think he got a high idle problem not a shifting problem.

That is my interpretation of his post. Hopefully he will clarify.
                    My interpretation also. As Yam mentions, remove cowl and watch the cables move. Stop moving con*****er before it shifts into gear. No sense in wrecking the lower trying diagnose this. Tie it up very securely to dock. Obviously will need a second person that can operate throttle

Comment

Thanks to all for your input. Just to clarify, it may be better described as “engine would throttle simultaneously to engaging the forward gear”. Once in gear it runs at a higher RPM than normal. When I try to ease off the throttle, it shifts out of gear. I’m unable to gradually increase/decrease speed which makes it more difficult loading on the trailer at the ramp. I am currently out of the country on an international assignment; I will check the engine idle speed with a tachometer once I’m back stateside toward the end of the month and report my findings. Thanks again.

BTW 200 HP
                      2005 Pathfinder 2200V

Comment

That, ^^^, sounds like a cable(s) adjustment / issue at the engine.

Scott
                        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                        X