tilt won't lift high enough for manual locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tilt won't lift high enough for manual locks

New to me 1988 90 hp on a Hydra Sport hull. When I purchased the rig two weeks ago I had the seller demonstrate that the trim/tilt worked and it did. When at home a few days later the trim worked but the tilt did not. Electric motor sounded fine. I manually raised the motor and pulled the fill plug and put in aprox. half a tube of trim/tilt oil. Put the fill plug back in and she works fine. Nice and smooth through up/down rotation with no sounds of struggling. However the tilt lacks about a 1/4 " of lift to allow the manual locks to swing down I can see that the tilt cylinder does have a small leak when in the " up " position so I know why it needed some fluid. In the fall I will have that fixed but do you think the worn seals are the reason it won't lift quite high enough ? I think short term I'll purchase one of those outboard stern saver or whatever it's called to hold the outboard in a somewhat upright position for trailering.

If its low on fluid, which its from leaking, it won't raise fully. You may have to raise and lower several times to fully bleed the air out...

Keep the fluid level topped off and you should be good until you get it repaired properly.

As you know, the engine should be resting on the mechanical lever, all rams extended, before pulling the plug and topping off.. ATF will also work fine.

Nice the PO didn't tell you of the issue, I'd be making a phone call (probably won't do any good).
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks guys after I posted on here I did some web surfing and found out the outboard should not be trailered on the locks so I'm not that concerned. Apparently they are there to hold the outboard up when the hydraulics are being worked on and or removed to be worked on. Good advice on the addition of some sealer I may try that.

Comment

No, the addition of snake oil stuff into the hydraulic system is not a good idea.

As noted, I suspect that your unit has not been properly bled and filled. Raise the motor as high as she will go. Add fluid as needed. Replace the cap. Trim the motor to the full down position and then all the way back up. Add fluid if needed. Repeat until it will no longer take any more fluid.

Comment

Bosco99,
          Is that the best way to bleed the system? I used the manual bypass and raised the motor to the mech. stop and added fluid, closed the bypass and lowered with the trim switch ok but when I tried to raise it again electrically it would not move. What is the proper way to get the air out of the system?

Comment

I thought and was told the manual locks were for trailering. Then thankfully before enduring an expensive repair someone here (?) balled me out and I read the owners manual where it clearly states they're for maintenace only and not to be used when trailering.
            Last edited by throrope; 08-22-2014, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X