X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodbolt, rebuild question

Anybody can answer this.

2005 F225TXRD

Bought one to rebuild a bit ago. Measuring out the cylinder bores, I think I have 1 cylinder that needs to be bored out a bit.

Reading through the service manual it says that if a cylinder is out of spec to rebore that cylinder.

2 questions here.

1). The way it is written it indicates it is singular...as in only rebore that one specific cylinder. Is it acceptable to rebore just one cylinder oversize and run STD piston/bores in the other cylinders? I've always bored all my cylinders out the same size.

2). It appears that yamaha does not even sell oversized pistons/rings. Why would they tell you to bore it out (opposed to sleeving) if they don't even sell the part for it?

Extra question: Where do you buy your oversized pistons/rings from?

https://www.boats.net/search?q=69J-11635-00-00

Comment

This post may have your answers
      http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...xrr-bad-piston

Comment

Yamaha,sierra and wiesco and a few others sell oversized pistons and rings.
        the key is the macxhine shgop that bores it.
        can they properly chamfer the ports?

Comment

What ports?

Comment

ok, I did not catch the F.
            as long as the cyl is bored a finished honed your good.
            bearing selection can be a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
              ok, I did not catch the F.
              as long as the cyl is bored a finished honed your good.
              bearing selection can be a pain.
              So I can do just one cylinder instead of having to do all 6?

Comment

Hmm...interesting.

When I search for it by year (2005) it doesn't have anything OS listed on there.

Looking it up by HP now has the OS piston listed there...odd. Well, if I look up an F225TXR...it has them. IF I look up a F225 TXRD...it doesn't show them.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                  Problem is that is a 2 stroke. Mine is a 4 stroke. I know its commonly done (reboring a single cylinder) on a 2 stroke....but don't hear about it much on a 4 stroke.

Comment

I thought rodbolt would confirm. But when he was pointed out that it was a Four Stroke he didn't say any different...maybe he will confirm.

I don't think it would be a problem. I have weighted stock pistons from bike engines and they were different weights. The Wiseco replacements I replaced them with were very close to being the same wieght.

I know you want to be sure though.

Comment

If they needed to be matched wouldn't over size pistons come in sets of six for an F225?

Over sized by 0.25 mm. 0.00984". Not a lot of weight.

Aluminium foil bought in the supermercado is nominally 0.20 mm or so.

I think rodnut has mentioned several times that they do not have to be installed in sets.
                      Last edited by boscoe99; 05-05-2019, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                        If they needed to be matched wouldn't over size pistons come in sets of six for an F225?

Over sized by 0.25 mm. 0.00984". Not a lot of weight.

Aluminium foil bought in the supermercado is nominally 0.20 mm or so.

I think rodnut has mentioned several times that they do not have to be installed in sets.
                        That's a decent point .

I was able to get with my machinist...only machine shop that specifically does marine work....and only one that touches 2 stroke. He's machined hundreds of outboards. It's probably at least 1/3 of his workload.

​​​​​​Anyways, he said doing one is just fine.

I figured it would be, I just didn't want something getting off balance and then 100-200hrs from now getting wonky.

Comment

Originally posted by Masonmobilemarine View Post

That's a decent point .

I was able to get with my machinist...only machine shop that specifically does marine work....and only one that touches 2 stroke. He's machined hundreds of outboards. It's probably at least 1/3 of his workload.

​​​​​​Anyways, he said doing one is just fine.

I figured it would be, I just didn't want something getting off balance and then 100-200hrs from now getting wonky.
                          Why didn’t you check with him first?

Is his name Floyd?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Why didn’t you check with him first?

Is his name Floyd?
                            I did...but being the weekend I didn't expect a reply. I texted him after hours Friday, and got a reply today, Sunday. I think it's good he even texts on his off time .

Not floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Masonmobilemarine View Post

I did...but being the weekend I didn't expect a reply. I texted him after hours Friday, and got a reply today, Sunday. I think it's good he even texts on his off time .

Not floyd
                              Messing with you. Bit of an inside joke here.

Comment

Working...
                              X