Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

f225 starts but don't dare turn her off!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• f225 starts but don't dare turn her off!!!

Idles fine but when I turn off and try to restart she will not start. 2002 yamaha with 550 hours just replaced vst screen. Could I have a vapor lock??

Cranks over normally, just NO re-start?

If so, how long do you have to wait to re-start?
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Its a f225 motor that I just changed VST filter and problem started. It starts and runs for a few minutes until i shut it off on the muffs. Will not start right away. The next day it will start. I took vst apart and the float was stuck because its tight in there and it was misaligned. I got that working but the problem still the same.

Comment

I would re-check the needle/seat inside the VST as well as the assembly.

If thats' the last thing you've done, and its acting up now, its most likely there..

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...201/parts.html

Please confirm the needle is properly seated in the float and the float and needle are moving as they should without hanging up on anything..
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-13-2014, 01:36 PM.
        Scott

Comment

i will take her apart again but wouldn't a fuel pressure test tell me if fuel is flowing? Thanks for the help.

Comment

I say to re-check only because the issue started after that.

It may be flooding out for some reason, (this no re-start till the next day, once it drys out).

**You can check the spark plugs (prior to pulling apart again) when it WON'T restart and see if their wet/soaked/dry, etc.

You may be getting enough fuel initially to start, and then the rail pressure drops. If you can check that while running too.

Lets see if the fuel system if functioning properly, if at all.

It may be something electrical, your getting fuel at the rail, but the injectors are NOT operating/getting thier signal. We need compression, fuel and spark to run..

One of them, isn't working correctly obviously..

Good luck.
            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-13-2014, 08:48 PM.
            Scott

Comment

Ok i will check fuel delivery again. I also have read about a water sensor not letting motor start I would like to check that as well. Any idea where that is on a F225?

Comment

Originally posted by cmitchell2 View Post
                Ok i will check fuel delivery again. I also have read about a water sensor not letting motor start I would like to check that as well. Any idea where that is on a F225?

Likely either in the head or on the side of the block into a water jacket, but if you click on this link:

Yamaha Outboard Parts , type in your info, you should be able to find it..

A thread, (post #5) may help and worth the read:

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...g-th23655.html
                Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-16-2014, 08:58 AM.
                Scott

Comment

I can't wait to try #5 reply from that post. Thanks so much!

Comment

Also, if I have two engines and one kill switch lanyard could one engine work and the other one not? Figured I would check for a loose wire or corrosion while I'm at boat.

Comment

IDK, but I would guess, they'd be separate.

Should one engine die, you can get home on the other.

If you put muffs on both with water, start em, then pull the lanyard on one, I would think ONLY that engine would die, NOT both (but again, I'm guessing). That test alone would tell you..

With the lanyard pulled (at least on a single), the engine will crank over(spin), with an audible alarm, but NO ignition...
                      Scott

Comment

if rigged correctly both engines die when the lanyard is pulled.

Comment

*Update* I will have to admit that I checked fuel lines from good engine to bad and I hooked them up wrong after changing VST filter. I already know that I am a dumb *&%. So she started up after I put back correctly but soon died. I noticed that the onboard fuel/water filter while running had bubbles rising to the top every couple of seconds. I squeezed bulb and filled it back up. The level would drop halfway down the filter and I would squeeze bulb to refill. Is this low pressure pump not working now? I did try to start with lanyard pulled and got loud alarm so I know it works. Thanks for staying with me and trying to help.

Comment

Back at boat and idling on muffs and watching Onboard fuel filter before vst. It starts full then level drops down a third then fills back up so I am assuming low pressure pump is working. I watched for 5 min and it did this repeatedly. If I try to raise the rpms just a little she dies out. Tried several times with same result each time. Any ideas? Btw , she does start up after turning her off and after dying out. I squeezed bulb til hard and tried to raise rpms and she still died. Thanks

Comment

My F150 Yamaha, fuel filter/housing, normal running, is about 2/3's full. Short of replacing my transom fuel filter or Yamaha under cowl filter, I don't need to use the primer.

Perhaps checking the fuel rail pressure again? Sounds to me like your good up to there.

Probably no difference, but disconnecting the prop (at the lever-neutral revving) just to raise RPM's, I gather still NO rise in RPM's/stalls?

@Rodbolt, that makes sense should you fall away from the controls (it kills both engines as designed). However, if you put ONE lanyard clip back in (say #2 engine has issues), #1 will still run, correct?
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X