Engine Stop Lanyard Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Stop Lanyard Switch

I bought a Grady-White Tournament 22 with a Yamaha 2-stroke 200HP three years ago. The three boats I previously owned were all inboards - 2 I/Os and 1 straight inboard. Those were basically like automobile engines and I was fairly familiar with how to work on them. This 2-stroke outboard has been a learning experience that I have enjoyed. One thing that has puzzled me is that none of those inboards had kill switches. My outboard and all the others I know of have kill switches. I can't see any difference in the danger of a pilot going overboard on an outboard powered boat than an inboard powered boat. Am I missing something? Are kill switches required on new inboards?

all of the inboards I have been on where large enough that they had enclosed steering areas, kind of hard to fall overboard while driving them

Comment

the USCG and the ABYC require a kill lanyard.
      some riggers don't use them.
      most I/O control boxes have them.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        the USCG and the ABYC require a kill lanyard.
        yes, well the USCG requirement is fairly recent - only went into effect December 2018

§4312. Engine cut-off switches

(a) Installation Requirement.—A manufacturer, distributor, or dealer that installs propulsion machinery and associated starting controls on a covered recreational vessel shall equip such vessel with an engine cut-off switch and engine cut-off switch link that meet American Boat and Yacht Council Standard A–33, as in effect on the date of the enactment of the Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2017.

The term "covered recreational vessel" means a recreational vessel that is—
        (A) less than 26 feet overall in length; and
        (B) capable of developing 115 pounds or more of static thrust.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post

yes, well the USCG requirement is fairly recent - only went into effect December 2018

(a) Installation Requirement.—A manufacturer, distributor, or dealer that installs propulsion machinery and associated starting controls on a covered recreational vessel shall equip such vessel with an engine cut-off switch and engine cut-off switch link that meet American Boat and Yacht Council Standard A–33, as in effect on the date of the enactment of the Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2017.

WTH?

(A) is fairly easy to determine. (B), not so much.

What if the motor produces 120 pounds of static thrust with propeller X but only 110 pounds of static thrust with propeller Y?

Comment

Never mind. I read the actual law. A bit more explanatory.

§ 183.710 Start-in-gear protection required.

(a) Any outboard motor which is capable of developing a static thrust of 115 pounds or more at any motor operating speed with any propeller or jet attachment recommended for or shipped with the motor by the manufacturer, must be equipped with a device to prevent the motor being started when controls are set so as to attain that thrust level, as follows:

Comment

seems to me that is talking about start in gear protection not the man overboard kill switch,
              and is talking about an outboard motor not all boats.

or maybe that definition is for both

Comment

Yep, my bad. Got them mixed up.

Back to the CFR's to read more about the need for a kill switch.

Comment

Do you know the actual CFR that covers this?

Comment

46 USC 4312

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/46/4312

Comment

Thanks. Strange way to go about implementing that law IMO.

Comment

Looks like the definitions section covers it - "The term “propulsion machinery” means a self-contained propulsion system, and includes, but is not limited to, inboard engines, outboard motors, and sterndrive engines. The code also says the Commandant "may initiate a boating safety program on the use and benefits of cut-off switches for recreational vessels." The nanny state not withstanding, kill switches look like good idea. I wonder if you could be cited for not using it. I have to admit I don't usually use mine, although I think I would in rough waters or congested conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Elwood22 View Post
                          Looks like the definitions section covers it - "The term “propulsion machinery” means a self-contained propulsion system, and includes, but is not limited to, inboard engines, outboard motors, and sterndrive engines. The code also says the Commandant "may initiate a boating safety program on the use and benefits of cut-off switches for recreational vessels." The nanny state not withstanding, kill switches look like good idea. I wonder if you could be cited for not using it. I have to admit I don't usually use mine, although I think I would in rough waters or congested conditions.
                          I use it when boating alone.

Comment

Interesting now that I think about it that use of the kill switch lanyard is not mandated. Law says it has to be there but no law says it has to be used.

Of course many think that use of seat belts in cars and trucks is left up to the user. Same with cell phones and other trinkets.

Comment

Liability matter for manufacturer.."we put the safety system in place..it wasn't used so don't blame us" Rightly so.
                              I don't use it and small boats wit tiller handles are the real rigs for flicking operators overboard. So this year I am going to try to.

Friend of mine Dad got flicked out a few years ago and killed by his boat...bunch of people watching from shore.

Comment

Working...
                              X