1988 175 pro v no spark on starboard bank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 175 pro v no spark on starboard bank

hello everyone, i’m really glad i found this forum, a couple days ago when we went to go fishing, put the boat in the water and cranked up fine, got on plane fine and i noticed i left my step ladder down so i throttled down put it up and when i went to throttle up thats it, no power, idled back to the ramp and went home. At home i checked everything and it has no spark on the starboard side of the motor, i’ve been reading alot and just wondering if any off you have any experience with this, i do ALMOST everything on this motor and know almost everything except ignition things but with some guidance i have no problem (hopefully) figuring it out before taking to the shop,
    a little about the motor
    the motor is a 175 pro v 1988 but has an 08 pwr head, compression is 115 all around, plugs are a couple months old, carbs were cleaned couple days ago in an ultrasonic machine, i clean them every year even though i use no ethanol fuel and ring free religiously, and i spray the motor down with corrosion x
    ive read it could be the stator but would like to be sure before ordering one

thank you in advance for your replies

just order up.
    or do a tad o testing.
    the 2.6l motors use a high and low speed charge coil that charges the capacitors for all six cylinders.
    unlike the 3.1l that uses two charge coils to charge the caps bank to bank.
    in other words, your method is gonna give you spare parts.

Comment

If you do not have one, get a DVA adapter to use with a regular meter to measure the peak voltages and follow the service manuals troubleshooting guide.
      Or if you have the proper meter to use with these CDI ignition systems,use that.

You say it has a 08 power head, do you still use all of the old electronics for ignition?

Comment

Welcome Rick.

I'm wondering how did you test for no spark?
        2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
          just order up.
          or do a tad o testing.
          the 2.6l motors use a high and low speed charge coil that charges the capacitors for all six cylinders.
          unlike the 3.1l that uses two charge coils to charge the caps bank to bank.
          in other words, your method is gonna give you spare parts.
          hello rodbolt, don’t quite understand what your saying

Comment

Originally posted by rejesterd View Post
            Welcome Rick.

I'm wondering how did you test for no spark?
            i pulled the plugs out 1at a time and plug them and turned the motor saw 2-4-6 spark but not 1-3-5 also when i got back from the ramp i flushed the motor out and the starboard side head felt cool

Comment

Maybe the ignition coil damper on that side? I'm not sure how to check those, but your manual might tell you.
              2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

Originally posted by RICK 1-2 View Post

hello rodbolt, don’t quite understand what your saying
                I took it as you have a 2.6L motor and that motor used a low and high speed charge coil that fed all 6 cylinders unlike the 3.1L.

you did not answer my post asking about what all you changed when you put in the 08 power head

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

I took it as you have a 2.6L motor and that motor used a low and high speed charge coil that fed all 6 cylinders unlike the 3.1L.

you did not answer my post asking about what all you changed when you put in the 08 power head
                  yea it is a 2.6L and just the block was changed, even used the old head

someone just told me its more than likely the powerpack
                  i guess next week its goin in, cause i need a dva meter and even if i had one i wouldn’t know were to begin

i will post results here for if anybody ever has this problem

Comment

I am guessing that this 1988 motor has 2 power packs, one for each side or is it just one for the whole motor?

yes post back what you find out
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 05-03-2019, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      I am guessing that this 1988 motor has 2 power packs, one for each side?

yes post back what you find out
                      yes thats what it looks like, my mechanic said to check the kill switch, that he’s seen them short and kill half the motor, he says to unplug it and spray corrosion x and plug back in and try that

Comment

I do not see how the kill switch could kill spark on only one side, but hey I am no expert

Comment

i thought the same but i’ll still check

Comment

you need to find a better mokanik.
                            you cannot kill 1/2.
                            if you really wanna test it simply unplug it and test.
                            buy or make a REAL spark tester.
                            buy a manual, LIT-18559-84-05 will give you any ign spec you wish.
                            test charge coil outputs then CDI outputs.

Comment

well its the cdi, charge coil had output going in the cdi and no output coming out to cylinders 1 3 and 5

thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                              X