2008 2 stroke 50TLR few Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 2 stroke 50TLR few Q's

So I recently purchased my first and my own fishing boat, a 2009 Alumacraft Pro175 with a 2008 Yamaha 50TLR 2stroke. Now the boat didn't come with a trim/tilt gauge. I purchased one that matches the rest of the gauges. It's a teleflex eclipse brand. Now I have searched every where on how to hook this up and cannot find anything. This is why I'm posting on here.
    Where n how can I hook this up? Should I just go of the throttle handle? It has the 703 remote? Any help will be great.

And any other pointers would be great thanks guys.

Also I'm in the process of changing the prop, now is the prop shaft suppose to be blue? Or is that normal from the factory?

depends on how it was rigged with that non-Yamaha stuff.
    look under the hood, what your looking for is a white 2 pin connector with a pink and a black wire.
    if its connected to something follow it out of the engine and to the console.
    if its not your going to have to make or buy the trim harness.
    pink is send and black is ground.

Comment

Yea I found the connector under the hood and it's not connected to anything. So I am very mechanical so making harness is not going to be a problem. I just wanted to make sure I need to go off the motor and not the con*****er.

Comment

what kind of blue color is the prop shaft?
        paint or overheated metal?
        Last edited by 99yam40; 07-10-2014, 09:10 AM. Reason: removed incorrect info

Comment

that blueing is totally normal.
          its part of the manufacturing process.
          that shaft is actually 2 pieces when it was conceived.
          that's why the parts inside the case will rust yet the part outdide the case wont.

Comment

I use to be a machinist, and the shaft looks like blue'ing is from heat. Thinking the shaft was heat treated. Also when I removed the prop there was no marine grease on the shaft at all. The shaft was drier then a popcorn fart. Should I be concerned?

Comment

From what Rod has posted there is nothing to worry about, just slap some grease on it before putting prop back on

Comment

Ok thanks guys for the help

Comment

Now my next question is what is the tourqe spec when installing the prop? My repair manual has not come in yet and don't want to wing'it

Comment

I guess it is suppose to be torqued properly, but I always tightened it good to where I could get the carter pin back in

Comment

as a machinist I am sure you know all about friction welding.
                      at first its terrifying then its cool.

dude, that motor left japan with NO hardware.
                      its the feaking minimum wage rigger that's supposed to do it right.

2 sayings
                      pay peanuts, get monkeys.

the other.
                      not my circus not my monkey.

Comment

Is that sarcasm I'm sensing?

I just don't want to over tighten that bras nut and stretch the threads and also don't want to wear out that thrust washer.

Comment

This is the strangest thread that I have read in some time.

When buying a trim gauge get one that is compatible with a Yamaha sender.

Motor is five years old. Obviously the propeller shaft has not been greased in a while. Time for it to be done.

If the propeller shaft has not been greased then what else might not have been done? If the motor is new to you it should be fully serviced. Going forward you will then know what has been done and when.

Torque spec for the propeller nut is 26 lb-ft. Then turn clockwise (tightening) as needed to get the cotter pin holes to align.

The owner's manual is available to you on line. Here is a snippet from it

Comment

So am I just taping into that pink wire for my signal for the gauge?

Comment

Working...
                            X