Command link plus connection to Garmin 840xs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Command link plus connection to Garmin 840xs

New to the forum and have been reading all the past posts regarding the NMEA connection options for Command link plus. I have a new Yamaha F300 I want to connect to my Garmin 840xs. It looks like i will need the Yamaha cable MAR-GTWAY-ML-09. Just looking for some feedback if this is correct and if I need any additional cables etc.
    Thanks for any input

That part number has been superceded.

At a minimum you will need a pigtail harness of the correct length. Depending upon the connections to your hub you might need to install an additional hub.

What has your dealer done to help you with this?

2014 Yamaha MRP Catalog

Comment

boscoe99 thank you for the response. My dealer has not been very helpful/ knowledgable about the CL+ system.
      Not sure what you mean about the pigtail harness. would that be in addition to the newer style (superceeded) yamaha harness you referenced? Also are you referring to another hub for the NMEA connection? I am not using the open NMEA port on the back of the garmin unit now.
      Again thanks for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by 1950Norton7 View Post
        boscoe99 thank you for the response. My dealer has not been very helpful/ knowledgable about the CL+ system.
        Not sure what you mean about the pigtail harness. would that be in addition to the newer style (superceeded) yamaha harness you referenced? Also are you referring to another hub for the NMEA connection? I am not using the open NMEA port on the back of the garmin unit now.
        Again thanks for your input.
        The link that I provided shows you the Gateway device.

That device plugs into an open device port on a Command Link hub via a pigtail harness. The pigtail harness' come in varying lengths depending upon the distance from the hub to the chart plotter network.

You need to make sure that you have an open device port. If not, you will need to add another CL hub.

Finally, you need an NMEA 2000 network. This should be shown in your Garmin manual.

The Gateway plugs into a CL hub at one end and to the NMEA 2000 network at the other end. Note the different connectors that are used on the Gateway. One is a Yamaha connector and the other is an NMEA 2000 connector.

You can buy all Yamaha stuff that you need at this website.
        Last edited by boscoe99; 07-08-2014, 11:38 AM.

Comment

boscoe99 - Thanks again for all of the help!

Comment

Hello Boscoe99. Question for you. I purchased the Yamaha gateway and a Garmin NEMA backbone kit. (see pic attached). I also purchased what i thought was the correct pigtail to connect the Yamaha gateway to the Yamaha hub device port (6Y9-835530-50-00). That pigtail has the wrong connector to attach to the hub. Do you know what the correct part number for the pigtail is? I only need the shortest one available. (BTW the hub in the picture is an extra hub that came with my boat and not the one currently installed).
            Thanks for your help.
            Attached Files

Comment

I also purchased what i thought was the correct pigtail to connect the Yamaha gateway to the Yamaha hub device port (6Y9-835530-50-00). That pigtail has the wrong connector to attach to the hub. Do you know what the correct part number for the pigtail is?
              You do not need a pigtail to connect the gateway to the hub.

As Bosco said.
              The Gateway plugs into a CL hub at one end and to the NMEA 2000 network at the other end.

Comment

Hello Boscoe99. Question for you. I purchased the Yamaha gateway and a Garmin NEMA backbone kit. (see pic attached). I also purchased what i thought was the correct pigtail to connect the Yamaha gateway to the Yamaha hub device port (6Y9-835530-50-00). That pigtail has the wrong connector to attach to the hub. Do you know what the correct part number for the pigtail is? I only need the shortest one available. (BTW the hub in the picture is an extra hub that came with my boat and not the one currently installed).
                Thanks for your help.
                You have changed the Gateway part number. In your first post you mentioned a part number MAR-GTWAY-ML-09 Command Link Gateway. That part number does and will plug into a device port on a CL hub.

However, you have a different Gateway. Part number 6Y9-8A2D0-00-00, a Command Link Plus Gateway. This item uses an adapter harness. Should have been in the box with the Gateway. Do you not have the adapter?

Last edited by boscoe99; 07-18-2014, 11:38 AM.

Comment

I ordered fromBoats.net 6Y9-8A2D0-00-00 GTWAY/CL PLUS,NMEA 2 (Yamaha Motor). I did not get any adapter with the gateway.

Comment

I would be asking boats.net where your adapter harness is. Also the instructions if you did not receive same.

By the way, I hope that you have the rectangular colour multifunction Command Link Plus gauge installed because you bought the Gateway designed to go with that gauge.

Comment

Yes I have the color gauge. its a 2014 F300UCA. I just got off the phone with Boats.net and they are checking the other items in inventory. My gateway came in a small box with only the gateway. i did not get the adapter or the instruction booklet.
                      Thanks again for all the help. Totally new to all of this and it has been difficult for me to find knowledgable sources.

Comment

I think that I found the problem. It is crappy Yamaha data. Again.

You bought the Gateway Plus.

It is the Gateway Plus Kit that should contain the instructions and adapter harness.

MAR-GTWAY-KT-00 GTWAY KIT,FOR CLP,NM

Last edited by boscoe99; 07-18-2014, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X