Throttle roller adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle roller adjustment

I have a 2003 yamaha 130. For the last two times I been out I have noticed after being wot and coming to a stop the idle is real high. In order to get it lower I have to push the throttle roller towards the throttle cam as theres a little gap between the two.after I do this the idle is at spec.also when I go from wot to neutral i don't feel the click to neutral but the Rpms are really high in neutral. If I stay under say like 3000 Rpms it doesn't have this problem. I don't know if it needs to be readjusted or if some how it's getting locked up somehow.any idea on what could be going on? Thanks
    Last edited by Yamaha3535; 07-07-2014, 06:19 PM.

Heres a pic of what I'm talkin about.

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/...psc216611a.jpg

I will post a pic tomorrow of how much of a gap there is. All I have to do is move like 1/8" forward.

If anyone has a similar motor can you see if yours are touching while in neutral? Thanks
    Last edited by Yamaha3535; 07-07-2014, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Any help out there? Thanks

Comment

If you don't have service manual, it means you shouldn't touch any adjustments on carburetors or elsewhere in engine. For my engine it's page 3-16, and no gap, unless roller worn and need replacement - common.

Comment

Hi There Yamaha3535,
          Some time back when I was having problems with my 130, 'Almetelo', (a Senior member), kindly sent me a copy of the service manual for most of the 130s.
          If you send me your email address, I will email it to you.
          You need to look at pages 27 to 43. This will guide you in adjusting the roller and your throttle settings to factory spec.
          Also bear in mind what 'amahaork' said about wear on the roller!
          Regards,
          Dennis.
          There is no task too simple for some people to complicate!
          Challenger 16ft - 1999 Yamaha 130 BETO

Comment

These adjustment are pretty fixed and do not change except for a lot of wear. (my roller actually had a flat were it had stuck and then it would roll only at the end at WOT. Then depending on chance were it ended up. In my case, it affected timing) These setting are tricky unless you know what you are doing if you truly need to adjust. Spray a degreaser on it and the linkage to be sure all is free. Then a touch of light 3 in one oil.
            RIPSAWSBOAT 1998 Yamaha 25HP Model 25N 4/97 25MSHW

Comment

Yea I think it may be worn out or getting stuck. I will try and get to the boat and see what could be going on. Thanks for your help.

Comment

So I went to the boat yesterday and the roller was getting stuck as I stated in my post. I moved the throttle foward and I saw that the throttle cam would move forward but it wouldn't go back to its start postion. So all I did was move it by hand a few times and there must have been no oil on it. It finally loosened up and I will have to get some oil or 3 in one to keep it lubricated. I also looked at my neighbors engine(has the same one as me) and his cam roller is touching his cam accelerator(as a previous poster mentioned). Mine isn't as you can see the pic. In order to make them touch should I just loosen the screw on the lever on the lower carb? Last time I tried I couldn't get them to touch and be lined up in the middle. Thanks

Comment

As I said previously, if you send me your email address, I will email the service manual to you. You may have to reset all the throttle and timing settings to get the roller and throttle to work correctly. Just loosening the screw will not work if other settings are not 100% correct.
                  There is no task too simple for some people to complicate!
                  Challenger 16ft - 1999 Yamaha 130 BETO

Comment

Do not loosen without manual. These setting are tricky unless you know what you are doing if you truly need to adjust. If it's never been messed with, leave it alone. What difficult is when you move throttle with the lever, it feels heavy and you get the impression the roller is all that tension when it's not. In fact, the light tension of the carb return spring is all the tension on that roller and why it tends to stick. Also, the setting is a procedure were you set max advance, then you set the full retard, Then the pickup which determines where the roller starts advancing the butterfly opening exactly at the proper timing mark and magneto control lever. It's not just where it just touches. I actually put an indicator on the carb bellcrank to see it move. If the roller is not free, it pops off to you with a little tug. Also the idle screw affect this and if it's off, sometime, you actually have to set the pickup twice since cranking one way or another on idle screw affect it just like moving lever by loosening the crew.
                    Last edited by grf00; 07-10-2014, 12:24 PM.
                    RIPSAWSBOAT 1998 Yamaha 25HP Model 25N 4/97 25MSHW

Comment

After you get it squared away and running correctly, remember that anything that moves under that cowling should be checked, cleaned and lubricated...including all carb linkages. I make a lubricant of 30 Wt. Oil and just a dash of that old STP (thick/honey- like lubricant....makes a slick and sticky lubricant that works great on sliding surfaces and carb linkages....

Comment

Thanks for the fast responses. And I want to thank the guy who said he'll send me a manual. I have a service manual and followed the directions. I first checked timing, then sync thd carbs, set idle speed and then carb pickup. The carb pickup is where it states to line up the cam acc and roller and for some reason I can't get them to touch.I have set everything. I'll start over and try again but I wanted to see if anyone had this problem before. Thamks again
                        Last edited by Yamaha3535; 07-10-2014, 10:51 PM.

Comment

at idle its not supposed to touch.
                          that's why there is idle timing and carb pick up timing.

Comment

Working...
                          X