2005 Yamaha randomly won't crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Yamaha randomly won't crank

I own a 2005 Yamaha, 4 Stroke, 30hp Outboard Jet - F40EJRD - that has developed a problem cranking. I can crank the motor up prior to driving to the lake and it will crank fine. Arrive at the lake and it will not crank at all, starter does not turn. The battery is new and had it checked and checked out good. Checked the wiring and fuses for loose connections or blown fuses and found none. I could jump across the solenoid and it would turn over sometimes so I replaced the solenoid. This did not solve the problem. I have 13 volts at the battery and 13 volts going into the solenoid and zero volts coming out of the solenoid or at the starter. I have moved the throttle shifter back and forth thinking it maybe the nuetral switch and still didn't crank. Sometimes I can let it sit and go back out and it will crank and sometimes it will sit for days and go out and the starter will crank. It happens so randomly I am confused where to look next. I drove 70 miles twice to get to a lake and caught caught both times, anyone have any ideas of what may be the culprit?

what con*****er ?
    if neutral safety is loose inside con*****er it can do this, even if you change position, i would open up and check

Comment

Thanks, This is a Yamaha 703 Con*****er. I haven't tore into it as of yet, I have gone out the past 2 days and the motor cranks up. This is what is so confusing is it is so random.

Comment

Intermittent problems are the worst. I would rather have a problem come and stay than to come and go.

The 703 control box does have a neutral safety switch that will prevent the motor from cranking if it is not in gear (even though you have a jet pump installed). Next time the problem appears jiggle the throttle handle a time or two see if the problem go away.

Comment

Working...
        X