200 HPDI - motor runs fine, not engaging in gear forward or reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200 HPDI - motor runs fine, not engaging in gear forward or reverse

Fired up great this weekend, ready to go. Made the mistake of not noticing the prop was not turning
    Put it in the water and the lower unit is not engaging, forward or reverse
    Any thoughts
    I always take the lower unit off for the winter - did not change water pump, its pissing out water beautifully !
    just dont have a turning prop :-(

my guess would be you did not have the lower and controls in neutral when put back together

Comment

Originally posted by Britfish View Post
      I always take the lower unit off for the winter -(
      You are a lucky man, to have re-installed the LU multiple times
      without ever having to struggle to get the shift rod ends to line up.

Make sure the remote control lever is in the neutral position,
      then drop the lower an inch or so -
      just enough to get the shift rod ends mated -
      then button it back up.

Here's what you are going to see,
      as you slide it down, in your current situation:

Last edited by fairdeal; 04-22-2019, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Fired up great this weekend, ready to go. Made the mistake of not noticing the prop was not turning
        Put it in the water and the lower unit is not engaging, forward or reverse
        Any thoughts
        I always take the lower unit off for the winter - did not change water pump, its pissing out water beautifully !
        just dont have a turning prop :-(
        Fairdeal has it explained in detail... with pictures.

I believe that the whole water pump annually is more about removing the bolts and lubricating the driveshaft so everything does not get stuck from being installed for several years.
        Many times, I simply clean the bolts and reinstall with a freshly greased drive shaft spline.
        Hint, while I lubricate that shift shaft spline with a quality marine grease, take care to not put too much (do not pack the coupling joint with grease) as it may apply pressure and make it hard to shift. (the excess thick grease does not squeeze out of the shift shaft joint and applies pressure to the linkage)

On the bolts, I use some sailboat technology. I use a product called Tef-Gel and we use that when installing ss bolts and fasteners into aluminum threaded, like on the mast. I hate trying to extract broken fasteners, especially the neglected aluminum to ss bolts that have been exposed to sea water for years....

Please return and let us know if you find that indeed, you pulled the 'oopsie' that fairdeal suspects...

Cheers!
        I am going to purchase a parasail this week. That should be great boating fun for all... that is, until somebody gets hurt!
        Last edited by FabricGATOR; 04-22-2019, 07:29 AM.
        If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

very much appreciate the insights. Wont get to it until this coming Saturday but will be sure to post results - and take pics !
          Thank you

Comment

took the lower unit out and the top of the driveshaft was fine - I re-assembled it making sure it was in neutral.
            Same issue - not engaging in gear
            Any more thoughts ?

Comment

took the lower unit out and the top of the driveshaft was fine - I re-assembled it making sure it was in neutral.
              Same issue - not engaging in gear
              Any more thoughts ?
              You did visually see that drive gear selector shaft coupling go together? I though for sure that was going to be it...

You could try to pull the hitch pin up top under the engine cover and then remove the shift selector control cable. Then try to move it forward/reverse by hand. you will know right away if the linkage is connected or not. If it slides easy with no 'click' in the three spots F - N - R, then go back to the fairdeal picture in post #3

That picture is taken at the space between the foot and the midsection casing when the mounting bolts are barely started, there is about 7/8 inch space to get your eyeball into. That shaft is toward the front and is about 5/16 to 3/8 inch in diameter (not the 3/4 inch drive shaft)

Let us know what you find. I still bet that is going to be it, especially if it was working fine before...
              Cheers!
              Last edited by FabricGATOR; 04-24-2019, 10:30 AM.

Comment

KNUCKLEHEAD ALERT !!!!!!!!! the drive pin coming out of the lower unit was not aligned
                Serious rookie mistake -
                thanks again for all the input, love this forum, full of smart people

Comment

Happy to have been of assistance. Glad you found it.

Thank you for the report and closure to this malfunction item.
                  Cheers!

Happy boating!

Comment

Just to help others if they are looking later on,
                    what do you mean by the drive pin coming out of the lower unit was not aligned.

was the shift shaft in the lower unit not in neutral when you put the lower back on?

or was it that they did not stab together correctly

Comment

shift shaft WAS in neutral - they did not stab together correctly - good call on the follow up

Comment

Working...
                      X