2005 F225, Command Link or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 F225, Command Link or Not?

So it seems Yamaha did a lot of experimenting in 2005 going into 2006. So I just upgraded to s Lowrance HDS Live 12", I would like to connect the F225 to the nmea 2000 backbone I installed. I've read tons and it seems to be all over the place on what does work or not work. I have a 2005 F225TXR made 09/05. It has the Blue/white wire harness and it has the 69J-31 ECU. So from that stand point all of the stars are aligned and I should be good based on what I have read it seems that most people have had success with those components. Any thoughts? Anything else I should look for? I purchased the cable to connect the F225 to the NMEA 2000, it was only $90 so what the hell. It will be here Wednesday. Got to love Amazon! I guess that will be the ultimate test!

Yamaha's official position:

Comment

Somebody has been reading some Yamaha literature.

Comment

Thank you sir! I look forward to plugging it in! Installed the new Lowrance today and will have the engine cable this week.

Comment

Originally posted by James70818 View Post
          So it seems Yamaha did a lot of experimenting in 2005 going into 2006. So I just upgraded to s Lowrance HDS Live 12", I would like to connect the F225 to the nmea 2000 backbone I installed. I've read tons and it seems to be all over the place on what does work or not work. I have a 2005 F225TXR made 09/05. It has the Blue/white wire harness and it has the 69J-31 ECU. So from that stand point all of the stars are aligned and I should be good based on what I have read it seems that most people have had success with those components. Any thoughts? Anything else I should look for? I purchased the cable to connect the F225 to the NMEA 2000, it was only $90 so what the hell. It will be here Wednesday. Got to love Amazon! I guess that will be the ultimate test!
          One thing that tends to confuse the consumer is that an F225TXR made in 09/05 is not a 2005 model year motor. An F225TXRD is a 2005 model year motor. An F225TXR is a production year 2006 motor.

All F225TXR's starting at serial number 69J 1021983 and onward have Command Link capability. See attached application chart.

Another confusing part is that some, repeat some, F225's prior to serial number 1021983 got CL capability. As a bonus. For no additional money. A freebee.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

One thing that tends to confuse the consumer is that an F225TXR made in 09/05 is not a 2005 model year motor. An F225TXRD is a 2005 model year motor. An F225TXR is a production year 2006 motor.

All F225TXR's starting at serial number 69J 1021983 and onward have Command Link capability. See attached application chart.

Another confusing part is that some, repeat some, F225's prior to serial number 1021983 got CL capability. As a bonus. For no additional money. A freebee.

Thanks for the clarification! It was extremely confusing and why I ultimately just had to ask. I had not seen that chart listed above until Fairdeal posted it. All good information.

Comment

Although not as easily as one may desire, one can open the Yamaha parts catalogs and see that an F225TXRD uses the -30 ECU. The first F225TXR (serial number I mentioned) uses a -31 ECU.

Other Yamaha literature mentions Command Link as first being available for 2006 production year motors. Since the ECU part number was changed from the 2005 model year to the 2006 production year, at the same time that CL came into being, it is probable that the -31 ECU is the one that offers Command Link capability. In addition to a wire harness change.

Nothing mysterious at all about it. Just a matter of knowing what and where to look for stuff.

Comment

Got everything hooked up and love it! The last thing now is the trim position. I have read that there is two pink wires that need to be connected. Well, I don't think I have that connector. I have an unused plug that has two pink with white stripe and two pink with black stripe wires in it. But nothing that I simply un-tape and connect.

Comment

Did you have yellow tape on 'the Blue/white wire harness'?
                  then you should have this, also with yellow tape:

take off the tape, the male cap, and the female cap:

and plug the two wires into each other:

Now - a caveat - do you still have a Yamaha tach/trim multifunction gauge -
                  or other trim gauge ?

you can't still use a gauge, AND send the trim via NMEA 2000 -
                  you'll get a full-scale reading on both

Comment

Working...
                  X