Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

yamaha f150 -07 speedo meter *command link*??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha f150 -07 speedo meter *command link*??

Hi! I have new boat with 2007 model yamaha f150 outboard...
    I think it have round command link gauges...i think it have command link gauges...they are similar than photo...
    Problem is that i don't get any speed to gauge, it shows only --.
    I tried to look pitot tube from engine and it's look like it's blocked with stud...

Where pitot tube should go? Do i need command link speed sensor (P/N 60V-8A4L1-11-00)
    And connect pitot tube to that?
    I allso have one electric connector with out place, so meaby it's for that speed sensor?

I attached picture from my pitot tube and allso that loosen electric connector is shown on there....

But main guestion is. Do i have command link gauges and do i need that kit to get speedo working?

Sorry about my english, it's not my native language...

Hopefully someone can help me...

Picture from pitot tube : https://www.dropbox.com/s/awf8z1nyg2...706_185609.jpg
    Attached Files

I don't have the command link set up but with my 06 F150, the speedometer works ONLY on water pressure.

The pitot opening is very small and on the front of the lower unit. A rubberish hose connects to that inside and eventually exits the engine with a small "plastic coupler".

Another same hose runs up thru the hull to the back side of the speedometer. The hose just slides onto the back of the gauge.

Once underway, water pressure pushes thri the pitot tube, then eventually pushes the needle on the speedometer. If that hose is kinked, it won't read.

NOTE, The pitot hole on the LU is known to clog up fairly easily especially in salt water use as well.

Re the newer gauges, most of the above post may be null and void but thats the way its been for years.. The newer gauges, don't know. Someone else will have to chime in..
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

That link shows someone jambed a bolt into the hose which is NOT factory. I suspect its the hose I referred to above and if blown thru, the air will exit thru the pitot opening. Spin the bolt out, should be hollow, about 1/4 ID.

If so, its not hooked up, thus not working..

If the new gauges (speedometer) install like the old, you'll need the same sized hose a connector. Connect that hose (the fun part pulling thre the hull) to the speedometer. There should be a nipple sticking out the hose will slide over.
      Scott

Comment

Yes there is bolt what is blocking pitot tube. And thats why it can't work.
        I didn't see tube what goes behind gauges, so thats why i was asking do i need some sensor and information goes elecricly to te gauge...or is this traditional hose to gauge thing?
        Boat is 2011 model and it has now fitted 07 motor..so thats why it could be that gauges has been working fully electric and that speed sensor is missing from this engine. Thats why pitot tube is only blocked with bolt...or am i wrong??

Comment

Originally posted by timppa83 View Post
          Yes there is bolt what is blocking pitot tube. And thats why it can't work.
          I didn't see tube what goes behind gauges, so thats why i was asking do i need some sensor and information goes elecricly to te gauge...or is this traditional hose to gauge thing?
          Boat is 2011 model and it has now fitted 07 motor..so thats why it could be that gauges has been working fully electric and that speed sensor is missing from this engine. Thats why pitot tube is only blocked with bolt...or am i wrong??
          I don't know.

Rodbolt or Greasyshaft, or others may.

@Rodbolt, @Greasyshaft
          Scott

Comment

the only reason I can figure someone would jam a bolt in the pitot pickup is stupidity.

typically,when new, the pitot tube terminates under the cowl.
            when I rig them I move the connection outside the cowl.

if you do have command link the pitot tube will go to a sensor holder on the engine.

if you don't then it goes to a connector and more tubing goes to the speedo.

so if the rigger did not have the sensor kit to add the speeedo to the gauge then they may have blocked off the pickup rather than blocking off the tube.
            way easier to block off the tube rather than the pickup.

sounds like peas poor rigging.

Comment

Just curious, when blocking off properly, do they plug the actual pitot hole on the LU or where?

BTW, I replaced my speedometer hose (thru the engine, mid section, LU) and same as you, had the first connector about 1.5' past the cowl before ANY connectors.
              Scott

Comment

from the factory the pitot tube is plugged and coiled under the cowl.
                to rig it new you cut the capped end off the plastic connector and connect it to the speedo tube or cut off the connector and connect it to the sensor holder.

mostly rigging is simply common sense and the ability to follow the rigging guide.

its also way riggers are typically the lowest paid and create the highest comebacks.

pay peanuts and ya get monkeys.

Comment

It appears that the guy might have simply lost the plastic plug that was inserted into the pitot tube hose and used what he had available. No biggy. I have seen the tube doubled over on itself and then held with a tie strap. Whatever it takes to keep water from flowing out the tube and into the engine pan. Some will route the tube back down and out of the engine pan and just let the water flow where it will.

There is no round Command Link speedometer. Only a round CL tachometer and a round CL speed/fuel meter. See the two gauges below and let us know what you have.

As Rodbolt notes, if you have a Command Link speed/fuel meter then an optional sensor is used to get pitot tube pressure to the sensor. Speed info is then sent electronically to the gauge. If you have the conventional gauge then a plastic tube connects to the tube in the engine pan and runs to the gauge. It is not a bad idea to move the connection point outside the engine pan so that if the connection fails then water sprays harmlessly out the tube. If the connection fails inside the cowl, as the Japs might say there will be "big trouble".

Does you boat have a GPS? Many folks stop using the somewhat problematic pitot tube derived speed input and simply use the speed displayed on the GPS. Maybe that is what the previous owner did.

Comment

I was thinking allso that engine installer person didnt have correct sensor then hi just blocked pitot tube...
                    how i can know do i have command link system or not?
                    Boat have that left gauge. It haves fuel flow. So it's then command link system? Ans to get speedo working i need extra sensor for it. I'm i right? No gps, speed is from pitot.
                    i think motor was before installed to normal gauge system, and thats why it's missing that sensor.

Other thing what i noticed. Trim gauge don't show motor tilt...meaby some wiring has done wrong.
                    Last edited by timppa83; 07-07-2014, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by timppa83 View Post
                      I was thinking allso that engine installer person didnt have correct sensor then hi just blocked pitot tube...
                      how i can know do i have command link system or not?
                      Boat have that left gauge. It haves fuel flow. So it's then command link system? Ans to get speedo working i need extra sensor for it. I'm i right? No gps, speed is from pitot.
                      i think motor was before installed to normal gauge system, and thats why it's missing that sensor.

Other thing what i noticed. Trim gauge don't show motor tilt...meaby some wiring has done wrong.
                      Re the trim gauge not working. The factory originally put a plastic piece that clamps around the horizontal pivot tube(not the correct word). That plastic piece is designed to pushup against the switch arm and show the angle at the gauge. That plactis tab likes to break, doesn't hold and thus doesn't put any pressure on the switch.

The replacement part is steel, plastic covered, and bolts into the same place.

If you look to the inside or the transom bracket(from inside the boat) you'll see the broken plastic clamp and then the switch and arm that SHOULD MOVE (but doesn't due to the broken platic tab). Its fairly cheap and won't break again.

Tks for the added info Rodbolt re the tube and Boscoe as well..

Op, seems you have the command link gauge but NO sensor to electronically send the signal to the gauge. (mine is strictly pressure, NO CL). As you said, the PO probably had the NON Command link set up but the PO of the boat had the command link gauge.
                      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-07-2014, 10:23 AM.
                      Scott

Comment

For speed information to appear on a CL gauge either the optional pitot tube sensor must be installed or a GPS must be connected to the gauge.

Since it appears positive that your motor does not use the sensor then check the GPS. Is there a GPS connected to the gauge? Is the GPS turned on? If not connected or not turned on then you will get dashes for the speed value, which indicates the gauge is not getting data.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                          Re the trim gauge not working. The factory originally put a plastic piece that clamps around the horizontal pivot tube(not the correct word). That plastic piece is designed to pushup against the switch arm and show the angle at the gauge. That plactis tab likes to break, doesn't hold and thus doesn't put any pressure on the switch.

The replacement part is steel, plastic covered, and bolts into the same place.

If you look to the inside or the transom bracket(from inside the boat) you'll see the broken plastic clamp and then the switch and arm that SHOULD MOVE (but doesn't due to the broken platic tab). Its fairly cheap and won't break again.

Tks for the added info Rodbolt re the tube and Boscoe as well..

Op, seems you have the command link gauge but NO sensor to electronically send the signal to the gauge. (mine is strictly pressure, NO CL). As you said, the PO probably had the NON Command link set up but the PO of the boat had the command link gauge.

There isn't gps installed so i will need that pressure sensor to get speedo working...is this correct sensor kit?
                          Yamaha Speed Sensor Water Pressure Kit Command Link Outboard Marine | eBay

then i checked that trim sender and it's plastic cam was ok, and sensor arm movement looked correct when i was trimming motor..i measured sensor from it's connector and if i have understand it right it should give some ohm readings when arm is moved...i didn't got any ohm reading from sensor, even when i was moving it by hand up and down..

so is my trim sender broken, or have i measured it wrong?
                          what would be part number for trim sender if it's broken...
                          2007 F150 motor.

i think it's that part number 3.
                          2006 and Later F150AET1X Yamaha Outboard BRACKET 2 Diagram and Parts
                          Last edited by timppa83; 07-09-2014, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Yamaha part number is 69J-8A4L0-12-00.

69J-8A4L0-12-00 WATER PRESSURE SENSO

2014 Yamaha MRP Catalog

The sender is merely a variable resistor advice. If you disconnected the coupler in the engine pan and measure the sender side connector while moving the sender arm, and there is no resistance variation (strange) then the presumption is that it must be failed.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                              Yamaha part number is 69J-8A4L0-12-00.

69J-8A4L0-12-00 WATER PRESSURE SENSO

2014 Yamaha MRP Catalog

The sender is merely a variable resistor advice. If you disconnected the coupler in the engine pan and measure the sender side connector while moving the sender arm, and there is no resistance variation (strange) then the presumption is that it must be failed.

yes i measured sender just like that and didn't got any readings...

that 69J-8A4L0-12-00 part is for cooling water pressure sensor, not for speed..
                              but if you scroll that link page down there is electronic speed sensor
                              P/N 60V-8A4L1-12-00

what difference is between these two pressure sensot kits...

60V-8A4L1-11-00
                              60V-8A4L1-12-00

looked from boats.net and P/N 60V-8A4L1-11-00 gives correct sensor kit and
                              60V-8A4L1-12-00 don't give any results...
                              so i still thinking 60V-8A4L1-11-00 is the right one

founded elsewhere:

Part # 60V-8A4L1-12-00

Superseded from Part #s 60V-8A4L1-11-00, 60V-8A4L1-10-00, 60V-8A4L1-01-00

so it's just improved part, but -11-00 will work too...
                              Last edited by timppa83; 07-09-2014, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X