2016 f series 115hp cowl removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 f series 115hp cowl removal

I am struggling to remove cowl because the rear lock won’t budge. Any suggestions

man a 2 or 3 year old motor and it rusted up already.
    possible water leak inside .

only thing I can think of is drilling.
    but will need to find the correct place to drill

Comment

Maybe try having someone press down on the back of the cowling as you try and turn the lock.

Maybe loosen the front clamp to see if the front of the cowl can move upward and in so doing relieve any excess load there may be on the aft clamp mechanism.
      Last edited by boscoe99; 04-20-2019, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        man a 2 or 3 year old motor and it rusted up already.
        possible water leak inside .

only thing I can think of is drilling.
        but will need to find the correct place to drill
        More than one cowling has had to be drilled to gain access to the latch inside. Cowling is either repaired and repainted, hole is plugged using a rubber hole plug, cowling is replaced or ?

Comment

Comment

The front latch is perfect. I can lift the cowl 6 inches in the front so have been pouring penetrating oil onto the shaft. No sign of water or corrosion in side at all

Comment

I ended up freeing up the cowl handle. I released the front and pushed it up as high as I could. I then used a 1/4” socket wrench with a 12mm and a really good flashlight. Removed the bolt holding the latch and removed the cowl. Much easier to free up the shaft then. The socket wrench was a multi angle 12 “ which made life easy

Comment

Originally posted by Adekpnin View Post
                I ended up freeing up the cowl handle. I released the front and pushed it up as high as I could. I then used a 1/4” socket wrench with a 12mm and a really good flashlight. Removed the bolt holding the latch and removed the cowl. Much easier to free up the shaft then. The socket wrench was a multi angle 12 “ which made life easy
                Was it rusted?

Defective?
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

It's a great rule to follow: if it moves Then oil or grease regularly, especially around saltwater environment....

Comment

Working...
                  X