Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost poppet seat into water jacket.

2002 150TXRA carb'ed 2 stroke

Went to clean/inspect the poppet valve today and upon attempted removal accidentally had the seat seal for the valve shoot into the water chamber (...doh!). Looks like to access that water jacket is to pull the outer exhaust cover. Is there any other 'while your in there's' when having this section opened up? I plan on upgrading the poppet to the current mushroom style and cleaning out any crud in the water passage.

Thanks in advance!

most will bend some wire and fish it out instead of pulling covers where you might break bolts

Comment

Here ya go:

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...e-th23766.html
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Well, glad I asked. I'll try and fish it out tomorrow...hope I can find it. I looked down w a flash light and couldn't see it. I read in the linked thread that the location is captive and doesn't go anywhere..looking at the sheared lower bolt pic in the thread it appears there are 2 passages there. Do I have my orientation correct? Granted, the posters engine is a 250, just trying to figure out the lay of the land under that cover for tomorrow's fishing expedition.

Also, are these motors known for breaking bolts? Is this because people not using anti seize or just crap hardware?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by cheetah chrome View Post
          Well, glad I asked. I'll try and fish it out tomorrow...hope I can find it. I looked down w a flash light and couldn't see it. I read in the linked thread that the location is captive and doesn't go anywhere..looking at the sheared lower bolt pic in the thread it appears there are 2 passages there. Do I have my orientation correct? Granted, the posters engine is a 250, just trying to figure out the lay of the land under that cover for tomorrow's fishing expedition.

Also, are these motors known for breaking bolts? Is this because people not using anti seize or just crap hardware?

Thanks,
          You might look up a parts fishe of the block (in the RED above, "Purchase Yamaha parts") and get a look at the block, might see more there.

Re broken bolts. Those bolts that broke on him were probably original from the factory. Between YEARs of use, salt water, they seize together. Not unusual at all. The newer the engine, the less likely you'd have issues. The more you flush regularly, it helps...

Pulling that side cover is not done often, NOT like pulling the lower unit every one or two years so corrosion never gets really bad, especially if assembled with the proper thread material, oil, anti-seize, etc...

We pulled the two heads on my my neighbors older 200 v6 to clean out salt build up (wasn't real big on flushing). Didn't break ANY bolts surprisingly..

But yes, if you can pick it out, it's definitly preferred...
          Scott

Comment

That went a heck of a lot easier than I was expecting. Got it on the second try. For anyone else who falls into this problem here's a pic of the hook setup I used (hook portion is the native hook that is on a coat hanger that holds the ill' cardboard tube).
            Last edited by cheetah chrome; 06-09-2016, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Excellent! Saved a potential, very big headache!!
              Scott

Comment

gradulations on your save

Comment

Working...
                X