• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the popcorn!
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

whddya mean poor design??
      you have no knowledge of speed/density multiport EFI.
      most EVERY 4 stroke speed/density EFI without electronic throttle has used that stepper IAC/ISC for about the last 25 years.
      do some fail?
      yep.
      do gearcases fail?
      yep.
      do powerheads fail?
      yep.
      does not always mean a poor design.
      I think in the past 25 yrs of doing this I have seen 4 failures of the ISC that took out other componets.
      and I see a lot of v6 motors.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        whddya mean poor design??
        you have no knowledge of speed/density multiport EFI.
        most EVERY 4 stroke speed/density EFI without electronic throttle has used that stepper IAC/ISC for about the last 25 years.
        do some fail?
        yep.
        do gearcases fail?
        yep.
        do powerheads fail?
        yep.
        does not always mean a poor design.
        I think in the past 25 yrs of doing this I have seen 4 failures of the ISC that took out other componets.
        and I see a lot of v6 motors.
        You said the "dumb ECU" and talked in depth about how it can fry itself trying to maintain a steady idle.. so I took that to mean poor design. But 4 failures out of (what I would assume to be) thousands clarifies this a lot. Those are just outliers, and if you keep up with general maintenance, then this isn't something worth thinking about.
        2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

Originally posted by rejesterd View Post

So it's just a poor design,
          The F115 was designed in the late 1990's and first offered in 2000. It was not poor design at that time. Not poor design at any time actually. Just a different design.

As technology progress most any modern technology becomes antiquated. Carburetors to throttle body EFI. Throttle body EFI to multiport EFI. EFI to direct injection. EFI with mechanical throttles and IAC valves and EFI with electronic throttles. Some day in the future every modern thing that we have today will seem old, antiquated and of poor design.

Comment

You said the "dumb ECU" and talked in depth about how it can fry itself trying to maintain a steady idle.. so I took that to mean poor design. But 4 failures out of (what I would assume to be) thousands clarifies this a lot. Those are just outliers, and if you keep up with general maintenance, then this isn't something worth thinking about.
            Exactly. In the scheme of things it is completely irrelevant. Except to the one or two unlucky barstards who have a failure.

Comment

Thanks for bolding the part that your original response here encouraged me to do: think too much about something that's not really an issue.
              2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

[QUOTE=rejesterd;n215959]

Another option - Instead of bumping threads you think are boring, go help someone with an actual problem.[/QUOTE

Certainly no problem to fixed on this thread.

Comment

[QUOTE=pstephens46;n215969]

Another option - Instead of bumping threads you think are boring, go help someone with an actual problem.[/QUOTE

Certainly no problem to fixed on this thread.
                  You watch hockey Stephens??

Comment

Hey Pan, are you keeping up with the Boeing 737 Max debacle? It is reported that this is going to cost Boeing over a billion bucks. US bucks. Not Loonies.

Does the term "penny wise and pound foolish" come to mind?

Comment

[QUOTE=panasonic;n215970]
                      Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

You watch hockey Stephens??
                      In person when given the opportunity. Stinks on TV. Why?

Comment

[QUOTE=pstephens46;n215980]
                        Originally posted by panasonic View Post

In person when given the opportunity. Stinks on TV. Why?
                        Your in NC right? I just watched a **** between NYI and the Hurricanes. The Hurricanes have a good team this year..think they will do well. I am going for New York now that there are no Canadian teams left in...all the good Canadian players are down there!!

I thought you might like hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                          Hey Pan, are you keeping up with the Boeing 737 Max debacle? It is reported that this is going to cost Boeing over a billion bucks. US bucks. Not Loonies.

Does the term "penny wise and pound foolish" come to mind?
                          Yes I have been keeping track of it...not good.

What comes to my mind is how they ever thought it was a good idea to have a primary flight control system operating off only one input, not the two that are available? How does that even be considered in an industry that relies completely on having pretty much everything redundant. Then the FAA signed off on it da boot.

Also it was an "option" to have a disagree warning light for the AOA vanes and a AOA indicator on the main display. So Boeing says to its customers here is a safe Aircraft but....with this option you get a "safer" one.

It makes no sense to me.

Comment

[QUOTE=panasonic;n215986]
                            Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Your in NC right? I just watched a **** between NYI and the Hurricanes. The Hurricanes have a good team this year..think they will do well. I am going for New York now that there are no Canadian teams left in...all the good Canadian players are down there!!

I thought you might like hockey.
                            From NC originally but now live in GA. I have been to see the Hurricanes. Can’t write gaaame?
                            I actually enjoyed watching the minor leagues growing up in Charlotte. Cheap ticket. Charlotte Checkers... Wish that was available here. Hard to watch on tv.

Comment

Working...
                            X