Re-power with 2006 200 HPDI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-power with 2006 200 HPDI?

Interesting thing happened yesterday. A neighbor whom I have never met, saw I was working on my year 2000 ox-66 sx/lx 150's (lowers and a T/T unit) and offered a pair of 2006 200 HPDI's... I think they may be Z-max.

Should I take a look? Supposedly, his son upgraded to a pair 300's

You fine folks' knowledge and experience is greatly appreciated. Pro's / Con's
    ►Problematic? Weak points? Look at / make sure this is....
    I think I read about inherent problems and upgrades to oil pumps or injection systems... Perhaps not the 150/200's ►thoughts?

►Will they perform well on an offshore (Atlantic) Florida fishing CC? Usually if we fish offshore, we *****? (This is now a trailer boat, not moored for any great duration)
    *not sure if this is still going to be censored again. the little Norwegian or Danish leprechaun under a bridge (silly puritans) can't type T R O L L

►*Will my four, new replacement Yamaha LCD gauges be compatible? Perhaps better options...

►Is the fuel savings worth the effort. (currently, WOT is close to 34 gph, of course, not run like that,much )

►Do they use the same remote oil tank system?

IIRC, I thought someone once said (perhaps here) that the run of the mill HPDI's and the Z-max HPDI's are a little different and the Z-max is more for the high speed bass boaters blasting off towards a spot... Is this close to real thinking and if so, do I not really want Z-max?

Thank you folks for your comments. I (we) always appreciate you experience and guidance.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by FabricGATOR; 04-17-2019, 01:53 PM.
    If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Originally posted by FabricGATOR View Post
    Interesting thing happened yesterday. A neighbor whom I have never met, saw I was working on my year 2000 ox-66 sx/lx 150's (lowers and a T/T unit) and offered a pair of 2006 200 HPDI's... I think they may be Z-max. HPDI's come as either Z models (25/30" shafts) or VZ models (20" shafts). Z denotes an HPDI. VZ denotes a Vmax HPDI. If they are paired as twins (one being a counter rotating model) then they likely are Z200's. VZ models are typically used on bay or bass boats in a single configuration only.

Should I take a look? Yes. Supposedly, his son upgraded to a pair 300's

You fine folks' knowledge and experience is greatly appreciated. Pro's / Con's
    ►Problematic? Not particularly. Weak points? None more than any other model. Look at / make sure this is.... Get the complete engine ID.
    I think I read about inherent problems and upgrades to oil pumps or injection systems... Only on 3.3 big block HPDI's and even then mostly on the VZ models. Perhaps not the 150/200's ►thoughts?

►Will they perform well on an offshore (Atlantic) Florida fishing CC? Usually if we fish offshore, we *****? (This is now a trailer boat, not moored for any great duration)
    *not sure if this is still going to be censored again. the little Norwegian or Danish leprechaun under a bridge (silly puritans) can't type T R O L L

►*Will my four, new replacement Yamaha LCD gauges be compatible? Yes. Plug and play. Perhaps better options...Perhaps.

►Is the fuel savings worth the effort. (currently, WOT is close to 34 gph, of course, not run like that,much )HPDI's typically get better mileage than the OX66 models.

►Do they use the same remote oil tank system? Yes.

IIRC, I thought someone once said (perhaps here) that the run of the mill HPDI's and the Z-max HPDI's are a little different and the Z-max is more for the high speed bass boaters blasting off towards a spot... Is this close to real thinking and if so, do I not really want Z-max? Need to know the models.

Thank you folks for your comments. I (we) always appreciate you experience and guidance.
    Cheers!
    You really need to get the complete model so as to know what you are dealing with. Engine serial number would be even better. All we can really speculate on at this point is that they are gray in colour. Maybe black.

Comment

Thank you boscoe99.

I really appreciate your points here.
      I am starting to understand the offering and possibly how it may benefit me.

This dropped into my playpen out of left field. He told me what I know now, I have yet to go see them and post a few pictures if a preliminary 'look see' warrants further consideration.
      Model numbers to follow, now that I am not discouraged by these answers.

I like my ole OX-66's, I know what I got and while not perfectly new and warranty, I would not hesitate to run them through the devils triangle, other than say a questionable weather report or an atmospheric anomaly like swirly cloud tunnel. I'll not do that again...

Cheers!

Comment

Not quite what I expected, Z200TXRY and LZ200TXRY... built in 1999

Now they are not museum clean, but they could be worked with. I am not scared of the condition, but it certainly is not 6 years younger...
        In my mind, this is not what I was imagining. $7k asking.

Comment

Unless someone wants a bit more power and/or a bit less fuel burn I would stay with the OX66 models.

On the other hand, if they are asking $7K for the pair they may take 5 or so. Or less. Make the guy a low ball offer and see what happens. Some folks, like me, when they put stuff up for sale, want it gone. There have been times when I have darn near payed someone to buy my stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
            Unless someone wants a bit more power and/or a bit less fuel burn I would stay with the OX66 models.

On the other hand, if they are asking $7K for the pair they may take 5 or so. Or less. Make the guy a low ball offer and see what happens. Some folks, like me, when they put stuff up for sale, want it gone. There have been times when I have darn near payed someone to buy my stuff.
            Cheers!

It was the dad who approached me and though they were 2006. The daddy want's the real estate back in his garage. I'll sleep on it.
            Thx....

Comment

Of course, 'value' is only what somebody is willing to pay for something.

This NADA I found online for outboard engine value guide.... In anyone's opinion, is that thing anywhere near accurate?
              It seems that the engine quote is the same in Ottumwa, Iowa, Beverly Hills, Ca or Ft Lauderdale... I am suspect.

Comment

Check out cregreis 1 above this post

Comment

Sorry meant for Murphy 21

Comment

still has no meaning to me

Comment

Originally posted by Enki 4040 View Post
                      Check out cregreis 1 above this post
                      I believe Enki is referring to their post (and suggestion for a cure) in the other 200 HPDi fault post.
                      http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...problems/page2
                      That is great help perhaps for the other OP's NC daughter's mechanic, as a guide.
                      Thank you.

I am just about convinced that the HPDI technology is sound and efficient but like many other engineering marvels, it is only as good as the folks that are maintaining it.
                      I would not be surprised if Yamaha discontinued along the HPDI line in 06 because they were just too finicky and that the run of the mill 'sausage fingered hammer mechanic' was hit or miss in working with them. Meaning that while they worked great if maintained properly and fed quality fuel supply, but did not hold up well if neglected or maintained by a human that didn't even know what a torque wrench was or why one might want to use one.

Not every doctor can be a GREAT brain surgeon. It take special skills, knowledge,specialty tools, a meticulous nature, and a sterile environment.
                      Other brain surgeons may go in your head and poke around. Hit or miss. Occasionally the patient develops a t t t t'tick' <~(or a stutter) and sometimes they just flat line.
                      Last edited by FabricGATOR; 04-22-2019, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X