60hp outboard not taking throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60hp outboard not taking throttle

Hello everyone I'm am new and this may have been a previous discussion but I was unable to locate.

I have a 2004 Yamaha 60hp 2 stroke outboard. About a month ago I took my boat out and she was running fine. towards the end of my trip I notice that it was almost spitting but not really still running at a normal speed. when I got to the boat ramp I put it in neutral and it was revving wide open, I shut it off and floated it on the trailer. So I figured carb issue and ordered kits to rebuild. I rebuilt the carbs new fuel lines new tank fresh fuel(non-ethanol), new plugs, and check compression (all at 75ish psi) took it out yesterday and it will not take throttle it fires up first turn of the key idles great it will idle all over the lake but when I get on it it acts like i'm pulling another boat I checked fire on all three cylinders and its there my head hurts from this thing I could really use some advise and all is appreciated.

75PSI sounds low, but that maybe the gauge itself.
    try a different compression gauge.

also check to make sure the timing is in spec and advancing as it should.
    if it does not advance it will not have power.

and If the timing stayed advanced for some reason when taken out of gear it could rev up high too

not sure what you are calling spitting

Comment

it was almost like it was picking up trash not really spitting but more like power no power then the power would come back I have had some one tell me to change the pulser coil because it could cause the timing to be out or unresponsive but before I spend the money on replacing part after part I wanted to see if any one else may know or have and idea I feel like its timing as well I just don't know how to check it

Comment

you check the timing with a timing light just like you would on all spark ignited gas motors

A service manual for your motor is a very good idea if you plan on working on it yourself

Comment

Hi I have a similar problem with a 2002 yamaha 70 2 stroke. Did you find out what was happening?
          so I bought this motor as rebuilt and needs running in.
          the engine starts good but you have to push the timing adjuster stops to full retard position. When on trailer you push throttle forward it revs but when you return it doesn't go back to the retard position, causing it to rev higher at idle then it should be. Any thoughts really appreciated thanks Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossy299 View Post
            Hi I have a similar problem with a 2002 yamaha 70 2 stroke. Did you find out what was happening?
            so I bought this motor as rebuilt and needs running in.
            the engine starts good but you have to push the timing adjuster stops to full retard position. When on trailer you push throttle forward it revs but when you return it doesn't go back to the retard position, causing it to rev higher at idle then it should be. Any thoughts really appreciated thanks Chris.
            I would check the CDI. I think normally, the test for that is output peak voltage. The service manual should tell you how to check it. I'm pretty sure the full name for yours is "CDI push to open throttle".
            2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

Originally posted by rejesterd View Post

I would check the CDI. I think normally, the test for that is output peak voltage. The service manual should tell you how to check it. I'm pretty sure the full name for yours is "CDI push to open throttle".
              Thanks do you know if the CDI pushes the throttle back the last half inch or is it all mechanical and should go back fully just with throttle movement. It seems as though the throttle cable end is too long but everything is correct, genuine cables etc.

Comment

I don't know, I just looked up a 2002 70 2 stroke and saw the part name. The service manual should tell you how it generally works. I found one for a 1999 70B, so it might be similar to what you have. Here's the adjustment procedure..

https://imgur.com/a/CZPu3u9
                2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

Working...
                X