Prime Start Fuel enrichment valve measurement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime Start Fuel enrichment valve measurement

Does someone know the measurement from tip to base on a Prime start fuel enrichment valve when fully retracted? My measurement is 1.07’ and I feel it should go further in.

In SM there is a way to test that the valve extends, and it does, but I think it doesn’t retract enough to let fuel by when cold.

I have cold starting problems when in normal mode. Engine starts a lot better when lever is in emergency mode. Engine idles good when up to temp.

Ignition is tested good on all cylinders with spark gap tester, 9mm gap.

Motor 2002 90TLRA 2-stroke.
    Last edited by holmen78; 04-06-2019, 01:08 PM.

[QUOTE=holmen78;n215306] My measurement is 1.07’' and I feel it should go further in.

Motor 2002 90TLRA 2-stroke.[/QUOTE
    Seems like I remember some guy from up north in the cold climate mentioned years ago he adjusted his valve by turning something to get a better cold start on a 40 HP or maybe bigger motor.
    but I never have read anything about them being adjustable, so not much help.

also 1.069 inches is a lot different than 1.07 feet
    sorry,I just had to bring that up
    Last edited by 99yam40; 04-06-2019, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Yeah, lol. I’m a metric guy, just wanted to spare some head ace for you guys, but I F:ed it up

Comment

I would think you could check it by simply seeing if it'll push in MORE, when activated (and not installed BUT plugged in).

It has to bottom out at some point...
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x35uqVMu2r0

Comment

Thanks 99yam40 for speaking out what you rembered you heard once. I was able to unscrew the valve (plastic part) but it was glued in the threads and it cracked while I opened it up with pliers. I put it back together and left more of the plastic threads visible to bring the valve up. I assembled and the motor started much better than before. Now fuel was coming out from the hoses in normal mode like it should. Now I can spend the 170$ on a new valve when I know that it is faulty.

Comment

Did you take a pic of what you turned?
              I still have no idea what can be turned to adjust

Comment

Part of the PS component is threaded to another part of the component. Screwing the part in or out can change the length of the needle. Affecting the amount of fuel flow. Unfortunately a thread locker is used to prevent an adjustment to the device.

Comment

Don't lose sight of the fact that the needle length is but just one element of the PrimeStart mechanism. Changing the needle length could very well be a band aid for a different problem within the mechanism.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    Did you take a pic of what you turned?
                    I still have no idea what can be turned to adjust
                    I think you can see the plastic threads in the picture, that’s what I adjusted. Like boscoe said it is a non adjustable part glued together and will probably break if you try.

Comment

Thanks for the pic, I had thought it was something on the needle itself not the housing

Comment

Working...
                      X