1st post - 1996 Yamaha Salt series 115 HP Piston for Power Trim Assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st post - 1996 Yamaha Salt series 115 HP Piston for Power Trim Assembly

Good afternoon all. I am trying to repair (again) the right side of my power tilt assembly. I've installed new gaskets all the way through as well as a new cap. The piston is the only part i have not replaced due to the cost. Today i found this side of the assembly leaking again.
    I could use some advice, thoughts, a new piston, anything to shed light on my problem. I am not a seasoned veteran, as this is my 1st full year "learning" LOL about this motor. But I have disassembled both sides and rebuilt once. The left piston is dry and clean.
    Regards, SK

Originally posted by bikewider View Post
    Today i found this side of the assembly leaking again. SK
    Certainly don't want to kick ya when your down bud...as a DIY"er myself I aim to repair everything in my means. With that said, I recently paid to have my PTT unit rebuilt specifically bc this repair is widely considered arduous and must be perfect, along with the rebuilding process needing to take place in a sterile-like area. The unit itself is a pretty basic mechanism, but as you've discovered, if not done perfect then oil leaks are a sure thing...if not immediate then eventually.

I discovered that few marine shops are willing to rebuild PTT units for the reasons mentioned above. I stumbled across a shop local to me that does, located in New Port Richey FL. If you decide to send out for repairs let me know and I'll post the shop contact info. Good luck.
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Originally posted by bikewider View Post
      Good afternoon all. I am trying to repair (again) the right side of my power tilt assembly. I've installed new gaskets all the way through as well as a new cap. The piston is the only part i have not replaced due to the cost.
      What did you see on your piston that would lead you to even consider buying one? Yes, they are expensive.
      So let me understand the set up. You have the two TRIM pistons and the single TILT ram. You resealed all three hydraulic cylinders some undisclosed time ago and that worked great. Now, a interval of time later, the one side (port/starboard) side is leaking, spraying, seeping and you want to know what to do....

Without it being specifically addressed, I believe you are talking about one of the two TRIM cylinders.
      If it was a period of within a year, and now you are noticing fluid seeping from the shiny silver TRIM ram that runs across the cap again, then simply replace the inner o-ring that is inside the machined cap. That is the only seal from that side that holds fluid inside that cylinder asides from the actual cap sealing o-ring. The 'wiper' simply scrapes away the salt and dust so it does not damage that o-ring. If it appears damaged go ahead and replace that one too.

Now, if it has been a few years and a single cylinder has begun to leak, then I would plan on resealing both the TRIM cylinder caps and the TILT cylinder cap. As long as the only fault you are aware of is evidence of seeping, leaking, or squirting fluid... (ie, the TILT does not creep down or the TRIM needs to be constantly bumped back up during operation) then just the cap seals require resealing.
      AND unless you really mangled the cap trying to take it off, there should be no reason to replace that. Note, the cap when installed only needs to be torqued to snug as the o-ring does not seal any better if it is torqued to 'diver tight'.

If you do not have the proper pin spanner to remove the caps, consider getting one as it is likely less expensive that all three caps.
      I fashioned a tool from 3/16" steel and used high carbon steel pins (cut drill bit shanks) before I purchased my spanner. (or was it a gift from Zach.. Thank you!)

Work clean as Jason said. Only use the correct fluid. I believe they called out for Dextron Mercon II in the manual or you could get the same stuff in a Yamalube bottle.

Please return and let us know if you have any questions or need to 'phone a friend' or any other lifeline. When you get it all sealed back up, come back and tells us the tale over a cold beer!
      Cheers!
      Last edited by FabricGATOR; 04-09-2019, 09:03 AM.
      If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Hello
        great information, thank you. Yes it is only weeping a bit from the seem where the cap meets the main cylinder. I order a new seal kit and will give it a go. Maybe I pinched it or there was corrosion I missed. Oh, and I ordered a new cap as well. Small investment.
        thanks again for the advice and feedback.

Scott

Comment

A lil ATF on that seal (and the others), should help install the cap with the new seal from tearing/binding...
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
          X