Rebuild Cost/Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuild Cost/Options

I have a 2002 Yamaha 60 hp 4 stroke tiller that apparently has a shot cylinder, according to my mechanic. His estimate was around 3 grand to rebuild, which is a little steep in my eyes.

I am weighing a couple options.

1) Try to find somewhere cheaper to rebuild - may have to travel a bit.

2) Send it in somewhere to rebuild and replace it myself. I'm not too mechanically inclined but have some friends that are pretty decent. Would a repair manual guide a person through this process pretty well and how much for special tools would a person need?

3) Buy a different motor for the meantime while I wait and work on #2 and then sell my rebuilt motor once it's done.

Any feedback welcome. Thanks

you and every one on here would need to know what is wrong with yours before they could answer

Comment

i would guess you could buy 2 running motors for that
      i spent 3k last time i popped a v6

Comment

depends on what broke.
        was it a valve leaking?
        ring leaking?
        bearing failure?

Comment

Thanks for the input. I am pretty unfamiliar with these types of things - what types of questions should I be asking my mechanic? The way he explained it to me initially was that it is a "scorched cylinder."

Comment

if its a simple scuffed bore its not hard to repair.
            problem is WHY did it scuff a bore.
            does your mechanic have ANY Yamaha school certificates on the wall ???
            3000 sounds like he is going to buy a new block assy not rebuild the old one.

Comment

Working...
            X