X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F50

What is the difference between the F 50&f60 outboards

the diference is 10HP lol

I know what you mean... Don't belive everything you read or see...

Soon I'll post a video where I can prove that are lot of myths around.

Comment

Go to yamahaoutboards.com

Open up the parts catalog for an F50. Then, open up the parts catalog for an F60.

Compare one model to the other, illustration by illustration. Any and all differences and commonalities can be found.

If you have an F50 and want to convert it to an F60, simply remove the parts that are applicable to the F50 and install the parts that are applicable to the F60.

A restrictor plate and the engine control unit come to mind as the primary differences.

About $700 in parts and some labor will do it.

Comment

Originally posted by almetelo View Post
        the diference is 10HP lol

I know what you mean... Don't belive everything you read or see...

Soon I'll post a video where I can prove that are lot of myths around.
        Where have you been lately? We have missed you.

Thanks again for the link to the Yam document. It comes in very handy.

How do we get a later edition? Seems the one that we have only goes to 2008.

Comment

Hi Boscoe!

I've been around trying to help a friend with a 50D (now we are waiting for new parts that comes from Netherlands, the EU Yamaha importer, not only for outboards I guess..., I hope receive them today at my local Yamaha dealer)

About data I donīt know if exist a latest edition since a few years ago outboards already have a label with year or manufacture.

About F50 to F60 conversion many people clain that is just necessary remove the air plate restritor but is NOT.
          Did that on my cousin F50 and the gain was minor taking the change of running to lean...
          A couple of months ago got a used F60 ECU for his F50 and yes, than will notice a good diference.

Soon hope to be able to make a video comparing a original F50, than the F50 without air flow restritor, than F50 without air flow restritor and with F60 ECU.

Comment

I don't know about how the non US market EFI motors are con*****ed.
            but US market engines DO NOT use mass airflow and therefore removing or altering the amount of intake air will simply result in a lean running engine.
            the ECU timing and fuel mapping are simply based on throttle angle, engine speed and air density.

Comment

F50

Thanks to everyone,And looking forward to your video.

Comment

Originally posted by almetelo View Post
                Hi Boscoe!

I've been around trying to help a friend with a 50D (now we are waiting for new parts that comes from Netherlands, the EU Yamaha importer, not only for outboards I guess..., I hope receive them today at my local Yamaha dealer)

About data I donīt know if exist a latest edition since a few years ago outboards already have a label with year or manufacture.

About F50 to F60 conversion many people clain that is just necessary remove the air plate restritor but is NOT.
                Did that on my cousin F50 and the gain was minor taking the change of running to lean...
                A couple of months ago got a used F60 ECU for his F50 and yes, than will notice a good diference.

Soon hope to be able to make a video comparing a original F50, than the F50 without air flow restritor, than F50 without air flow restritor and with F60 ECU.
                Some of us have been trying for quite a while to convince folks that more is needed than just removing the restrictor plate. Some folks are stubborn and hard to convince. Yamaha will enjoy their business some day when they need expensive parts to perform a repair.

Regarding the document, with the elimination of model year identities the book must be doing it all by the engine PID number. Oh well. It is good have what we do.

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer6212 View Post
                  Thanks to everyone,And looking forward to your video.
                  For now priority is help my friend with his 50 2strk repair and paint the boat with anti-fouling than will be to that video.

Hope then I can help make that myth desapper (if is that possible)

Rod my cousin 2007 F50FET match with US F50TLR

Comment

the air restrictor myth came about with the NASCAR bubba's

nascar runs CARBED motors.
                    with a carbed motor you CAN run an air restrictor to limit HP.

with a speed density EFI you CANNOT.

face it, your outboard,like your car, is simply an air pump.

gasoline burns correctly in a very narrow air to fuel ratio.

to much or not enough of either causes issues.

with a speed density setup airflow is calculated and mapped in the ECU.
                    it is NOT monitored BY the ECU.

a mass airflow system DOES monitor airflow but no outboard manufacturer,yet, that I know of uses MASS airflow.

so no Virginia, there are no mythical restrictors on the intake side that you can remove and gain HP.

carbed motors, yes.
                    speed density EFI setups NOPE.

that restrictor is simply a manufacturing cost reduction thing.
                    it allows the same throttle assy to be used on multiple engines.
                    saves manufacturing money.
                    a removal of it or the addition of it and a reprogramming of the ECU map and volia, increased OR decreased HP.

was the 800 CFM Holley spread bore on my modified 455 olds an overkill?
                    most definatly, but it worked well.
                    however carbed motors rely on about a 14 mile high colum of air to move fuel.
                    speed density EFI not so much.
                    air pressure still matters on the EFI, it is monitored, but the injector on time and rail pressure control fuel delivery.

Comment

It's the never ending quest for POWWWWWEEERRR!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The never ending quest to try and get something for nothing.

Comment

Working...
                        X