2001 ox66 tilt and trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 ox66 tilt and trim

I have a tilt and trim unit that was contaminated with water pretty badly. Is there a way I can flush this out without removing the tilt and trim from the motor? Can I use any fluid just to flush then replace with Yamaha? I already wasted a bottle thinking I got all of the old fluid out, it quickly got contaminated and now I had to remove that.
    I replaced all the seals and O rings on the main piston and the smaller rods.
    Thank you

Take it off and tear it down to clean it or you will not get all the water out.

Comment

There is no reason to waste money on Yamaha "Power Trim & Tilt Fluid"
      Yamaha Service manuals for decades have specified "ATF Dexron" for the t/t unit.
      from Walmart even

Comment

What type. Is it ATF Dextron II or ATF Dextron III . They make quite a few different ones.

Comment

How did you replace the seals on the tilt rod (main, center one) without removing the unit from the engine bracket?

I second the notion of just removing it and rebuilding it. It's much easier on the bench, and you can do a much more thorough job. I have no idea what engine you have, but with mine (see sig), even though everything I read online said the engine had to be hoisted off the boat to remove the TNT unit, I was able to remove it from the bracket in under 30 minutes without lifting the engine.

The spec for the ATF is in the service manual - I believe it's II - but newer ATF is backwards compatible (just check the bottle label).
          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by Bangstick310 View Post
            What type. Is it ATF Dextron II or ATF Dextron III . They make quite a few different ones.
            If you can find Dextron Type II then use it. I don't think that it has been available for years. Decades maybe. What you mostly likely find to be available is Type III.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
              How did you replace the seals on the tilt rod (main, center one) without removing the unit from the engine bracket?

I second the notion of just removing it and rebuilding it. It's much easier on the bench, and you can do a much more thorough job. I have no idea what engine you have, but with mine (see sig), even though everything I read online said the engine had to be hoisted off the boat to remove the TNT unit, I was able to remove it from the bracket in under 30 minutes without lifting the engine.

The spec for the ATF is in the service manual - I believe it's II - but newer ATF is backwards compatible (just check the bottle label).
              Was able to remove the main cap and pull the sub ass straight out. It’s was very easy. I have a 2001 OX66 250HP

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

If you can find Dextron Type II then use it. I don't think that it has been available for years. Decades maybe. What you mostly likely find to be available is Type III.
                Thank you Much

Comment

Originally posted by Bangstick310 View Post

Was able to remove the main cap and pull the sub ass straight out. It’s was very easy. I have a 2001 OX66 250HP
                  Interesting. I honestly never even thought to try that - I just didn't think there'd be enough room. But in the end, I'm glad I pulled the whole unit as it gave me a chance to clean things out real well and replace o-rings in the pump section, too.

Comment

Is there a rebuild kit available for these units or do I purchase all parts a la carte?
                    If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Originally posted by FabricGATOR View Post
                      Is there a rebuild kit available for these units or do I purchase all parts a la carte?
                      I did not come across a rebuild kit when I rebuilt mine. But it's easy enough to order off a parts diagram.

Comment

thanks DennisG01

If only there was a kit, i could just tear into it and replace everything in sight. A la Carte I may miss something and then be waiting on shipping. I guess i'll just have to disassemble and clean/evaluate everything I need.

Comment

I figured as long as I was tearing it apart, I would just replace anything/everything "soft" while I was in there. I just took my time and went through the parts diagram part by part and then did it again to double check. It's actually pretty simple. I found it easier to print out the parts diagram and then compare to the parts list and cross off items on the paper as I went.

Comment

Let me ask you DennisG01, where there any additional parts that you had to order or anything that you would have preferred to replace but didn't have readily available? Springs, check balls, filters that can't or shouldn't be cleaned?
                            I've never been inside of one yet. I do not believe I have any water intrusion (but one never knows).
                            S****s! it is about $175 parts to replace the motor brushes...

Comment

I can't believe they sensored s**** ies.... they made it look like I am foul mouthed!

Comment

Working...
                              X