1990 30 hp 3 cylinder shift cam assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 30 hp 3 cylinder shift cam assembly

My shift shaft broke right where the little rod under the shift boot goes through. I have bought an entire new shift cam assembly. Does the bearing carrier have to pulled to install the new cam?

Thanks in advance.

I would, it will be easier.

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the response. Pulling the carrier is a bit above my level of expertise. Is there a way to install it without pulling it?

Thanks again!

Comment

I have done it, number 45 rides on it, it is spring loaded.

Comment

Thanks again. Can you explain how you installed it other than just pushing it down in the hole where it goes? It goes in fine but it will pull out easily.

Comment

Try it all i can say

Comment

they are normally spring loaded into forward,
                to get into neutral or reverse you have to compress the spring.
                if you pull the shaft while in neutral or reverse I would think the spring loading will push the cam out where you cannot see it to line up the holes again

just my thoughts

Comment

pull the shaft and carrier.
                  once you disengage the shift cam from the plunger the plunger goes fwd and the cam cannot be re-engaged.

Comment

Thanks guys. Any tips for pulling the carrier for a first timer? I'm gonna buy a puller.

Comment

You need something like this.

Comment

Is that a bearing carrier retainer tool/remover? Thanks!

Comment

Gland nut tool. Chances of being able to get that nut to turn out of a 29 year old engine is slim...especially if it is a salt water engine. Probably have to cut it out then pull the carrier, which maybe corroded in as well.

Comment

looks like all of the 30s from 1990 have the push pull shift and the claw nut.

always good to post a complete modle #.

service manual would help direct you to the steps to pull and replace.

But I think drilling the nut and breaking/cutting it out maybe a good idea.

probably need to pull the shift shaft out before pulling the carrier and prop shaft.

Maybe someone like Rodbolt can say if the prop shaft and carrier need to be pulled with a slide hammer and heat as I did my 99 C40

Comment

Thank y'all very much for the advice. I don't have the model number as the clamp bracket has been replaced sometime in the past. I am a second owner of the motor. I'm actually just guessing that it's a '90 based on a few parts. What do you mean by a push pull shift? The shift cam that I am trying to reinstall is 6J8-44150-00-00. It appears to be the same as the one that broke previously. The service manual does have steps for pulling the bearing carrier but not for reinstalling the shift cam. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X