Maintenance of a f225 fuel injectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintenance of a f225 fuel injectors

Getting closer to spring here in the north east. So my thoughts turn to pre-season maintenance. I am going to clean the vst, and replace the filters. So my question turns to the fuel injectors. I haven't experienced any issues with the injectors so I was wondering do I just change the filters or should I pull the injectors and clean them? And if so do you clean them or send them out?

There's certainly no reason to replace them. Some will replace the 'wearables' and filter inside the injector, some will setup a home-made tester to pressurize them and clean them. Me, given that it's only about $20 an injector to have all that done professionally, I would just send them out to have the wearables replaced and then cleaned/flow tested. Check locally, too - they don't have to be sent to a 'marine' injector cleaner place. Is it necessary that you do injector maintenance if things are good? Probably not. But preventative maintenance can never hurt.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

http://www.mrinjector.us/

I sent mine to this guy. Very quick turnaround and very pleased with the outcome.

He first tests them and records the data. Then cleans and retests them. They come back to you with a printout of the results. My boat ran like a string trimmer for a while after the cleaning. About 100 hours later, the port engine shat one and I had to pull them again. This is when I found all the black crap in the high psi pump intake screen. NONE was evident in the first stage filter or the F filter. I suspect that the fuel line circling the engine is failing due to the corrosive e10.

They are not too terribly difficult to pull and replace, but it does take a bit of time and some extravagant cussing unless you have ballerina hands and a compound wrist. DO NOT remove the individual throttle assemblies unless you are left with no other choice. I'm old and have a bad back, but I'd guess 90 mins to pull them, perhaps more. But I'm not on the clock, in a hurry or a trained tech. You need to pull the intake and the VST, so what's that...an hour? Then the 6 hard to reach bolts for the rails and some other crap in the way. It's tedious.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69
        Local shops wanted 35 or 40 per injector. Mr Injector was $17.50 each.
        Wow. Guess it depends largely on the area where you are for local guys. The local fuel injection shop near me (many decades in business - does the stuff you mentioned) is much less. I think I paid somewhere around $18 or $19 per injector.
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
        X