Multifuction tachometer gauge problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multifuction tachometer gauge problem

I have a Yamaha F80 BET and I am having problems with the tachometer, it goes dead but when I turn the steering wheel to turn the engine in one direction the power to the gauge comes back on. Also when the power to the tachometer is gone the engine will not turn off even when the kill switch is removed. Any help would be appreciated. JOHN

check for a break in the ground path between the engine block and the keyswitch.
    most likely a bad ground connection or a break in the wire in the harness.

Comment

tachometer problem

Thanks for your advice rodbolt17 I thought it might be something like that but I am hoping the problem will not get worse as I want to keep the boat in the water until the end of the fishing season.John

Comment

I would rather work on it while not out in the middle of now where.
        It is your choice where it gets fixed

Comment

At least remove the cowling and check the ten pin harness to motor harness connector. Should have a bayonet lock holding it together. Some how, some way, it might be loose and when the motor is turned the ground connection is lost/intermittent. Not likely but this is a two minute inspection.

What type of throttle/shift control do you have and what type of steering mechanism? Might want to check all ground connections up at the helm.

Comment

tachometer problem

Thanks boscoe99 for your advice, the boat is just out of the water this week. I now have time to check poor connections or wiring break John

Comment

Working...
            X