Question for fairdeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for fairdeal

What is all of this talk of J1939 about? Seems that it is just more or less a part number for a cable.

Is it specific to Garmin?

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
    What is all of this talk of J1939 about?

Is it specific to Garmin?
    I believe so.

You probably know J1939 is like "NMEA 2000 for diesel trucks buses and trains" -
    although it came first -
    the NMEA 'copied from it' for NMEA 2000;

publishing this is 1999:

So modern "marinized" diesel engines use J1939, but apparently because the market is small,
    have been largely ignored by the recreational electronics manufacturers - Furuno, Simrad, Garmin etc.

However, about 3 years ago, Garmin offered a "J1939 capable" version of their GPSMAP 7000 series MFD -
    and later included it as standard - in addition to NMEA 2000 capability -

so on some Garmin MFDs, there are two identical DIN connectors,

one labeled NMEA 2000, the other J1939.

The reason we are hearing about it now -

for some unexplained reason,

when Yamaha allowed Garmin, Furuno and Simrad to 'emulate' the Command Link display -

Furuno and Simrad did it via the Yamaha "Gateway" to a NMEA 2000 backbone

(and of course a software update)

but Garmin chose to require connection to that 'J1939' plug in order to enable the emulation.

(and maybe also need a Yamaha Gateway - but I don't recall - it confuses the sh*t out of me)

Comment

Thanks. Certainly is causing confusion amongst the users.

Comment

Do the new Garmin's only have a J1939 port?

If so, will they receive both Command Link and Command Link data directly from an applicable CL or CL+ hub?

Comment

At this point, all Garmin marine plotters (except their 4" unit) have a NMEA 2000 port -
          but only a few have, in addition, the J1939 port.

Sadly, regarding documentation of the Yamaha "emulation screen" -
          they have mirrored Yamaha's style: murky, and incomplete.

The Garmin documents:
          - specify that the J1939 port must be used to get the Yamaha screen
          - specify that their cable goes from the J1939 port "to the Yamaha hub" (via a Yamaha pigtail cable)
          - do not indicate that a Yamaha Gateway is required in between
          - do not reference any distinction between whether the Yamaha hub is CL or CL+

So it would seem, that the J1939-equipped Garmins will display the Yamaha screen
          when directly connected to either CL or CL+

But I have no way to be 100% certain;
          unfortunately,
          I purchased my current Garmin MFDs before the J1939 port was added to those models -
          so I am unable to get empirical data.
          (and lack access to a DEC engine, anyway)

Comment

Thanks. This is getting a tad less fuzzy to me thanks to your help.

I think that the emulation of the Yamaha display is what is driving this. Versus seeing just engine data in a number of other ways. J1939 to see data in the Yamaha CL+ format versus seeing data in a non-Yamaha CL + format via NMEA 2000.

Aren't you thinking that you really really need a new Garmin display? One with a J1939 port? And while you are buying it, isn't it time for you to have a new Yamaha DEC model so that you have both CL and CL+ ports available?

Comment

The configuration of the NMEA 2000 receptacle and the J1939 receptacle look identical. Is the wiring different?

Comment

What might happen if a Lowrance 0120-37 cable that is connected to a Yamaha engine gets connected to the J1939 receptacle?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  The configuration of the NMEA 2000 receptacle and the J1939 receptacle look identical. Is the wiring different?
                  Identical - both "Micro-C" connectors - and the pinout is the same.

So the only difference between "the Lowrance Cable"

and Garmin's "Yamahaź Engine Bus to J1939 Adapter Cable" :

- Lowrance uses a female Furukawa plug - so it can directly connect to a Yamaha "Device" port or engine harness plug

- Garmin uses a male Furukawa plug - so you need a Yamaha "pigtail cable" to use it

(obviously Garmin deferred entirely to Yamaha in the design of the cable!)

from J1939 section of a Garmin Installation Manual:

Standard NMEA 2000:

Comment

Working...
                  X