No announcement yet.

Yamaha F350 (2009) shift shaft seized in lower unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how hard does everyone think the 2009 lower will be to take apart to look in there.
    I would pull it apart myself even if you have to pay someone to do it I think it would be well worth it to have a look in there

Comment

Was it contaminated with fresh water or salt water....?... If it was salt water then your lower unit may be pretty much toast....

Comment

Originally posted by B1tuna72 View Post
        Walleye: I agree with the complete rebuild, but trying to get an idea of whether the case will need to be replaced. I have a complete lower unit located at a reasonable cost and it might simplify things to go.

Boscoe: Yes, the prop shaft and prop are both installed.
        Are you thinking the case, as in aluminum housing may be toast? Guts maybe, doubt the case was affected by water.

Comment

no problem can be figured out until the unit is opened up and inspected

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            how hard does everyone think the 2009 lower will be to take apart to look in there.
            I would pull it apart myself even if you have to pay someone to do it I think it would be well worth it to have a look in there
            He's got nothing to loose pulling it apart. (Heck you did yours successfully, he's got something froze up that shouldn't be hard to find once opened up)

I'd bet the case is fine (being aluminum), likely a seized bearing or two, or the sider shifter cog not moving / perhaps froze up.
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Comment

Make sure you remove #26 before you pull the carrier or you will bend it.

Comment

You will need a tool like this, you may be able to rent one from a dealer.

Comment

Op seems to be AWOL...
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
                      You will need a tool like this, you may be able to rent one from a dealer.
                      Is that tool used to remove a gland nut?

Comment

actually the F350 gland nut wrench is two pieces and rather expensive and usually will NOT remove a salt water gland nut.
                        you drill about 5 1/4-5/16ths holes as close to the case threads as you can without touching the case.
                        then crack it apart with a hammer and chisel.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                          actually the F350 gland nut wrench is two pieces and rather expensive and usually will NOT remove a salt water gland nut.
                          you drill about 5 1/4-5/16ths holes as close to the case threads as you can without touching the case.
                          then crack it apart with a hammer and chisel.
                          Considering how many F350 motors are used in freshwater - this is probably SOP.

Comment

and you must pull the shaft and carrier as a unit on the LF350. my guess is the shift slide is rusted to the propshaft.

Comment

Working...
                            X