40 HETO advice please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 HETO advice please...

Morning all.... I'm a new member here and also new to outboards as I've always had diesel inboards in my small fishing boats, so I've come across a problem with the outboard I bought last week and hope someone will be kind enough to give me some advice.....

Right, it's a 40HETO and the power tilt & trim only gets the motor up, not down again. I have read thought the forum and it seems likely that it needs some hydraulic oil. I think I've identified the plug for the filler, but I'd like to be sure before I start pouring oil in just in case I'm shoving it in the wrong hole - (perhaps I could have worded that better!). The plug seems to be a 17mm nut on the right hand side of the tilt unit on what looks like a reservoir. I have removed it and there is nothing showing, leading me to think it's almost completely empty.
    On the left side of the unit is a small allen key nut - could this be the vent to purge the air from the system? (if there is any air in it).

Also, I notice that the two chromed rams (if that's what they are) are still protruding when I lower the engine manually, so it won't go all the way down. Should they be sticking out like this or should they retract?

Finally, are engine numbers on these motors individual to the motor - or are they generic. My engine number is 532929 and I noticed on the forum someone else quoted the same number - is my engine a stolen one? Just a thought.

Well, there we are, I would really appreciate some advice here as I'd like to go fishin' this afternoon.

Kind regards to all and thanks in advance

Lee

The numbers are only part of the engine ID. Different models could have the same set of numbers but have different prefixes, which denotes a completely different motor.

Does your reservoir on the motor look like the following? I have highlighted the fill port. Tilt the motor fully up. Add as much fluid as it will take. Replace the cap. Trim it down. Tilt it back up fully. Add fluid if needed. Repeat this process until it won't take any more fluid. The system is self bleeding by the way.

Dexron II or III is the stuff to use. Or, Yam trim and tilt fluid.

Comment

Hi Boscoe, thanks for your reply.

I've topped up the fluid until I can't get any more in - it's just pouring out again.

When I tilt the motor, it goes all the way up, but when I press the down button, all I get is the click from the solenoid but nothing else. I then use the manual release screw and the motor goes down and I think I can hear air bubbling inside the unit as it reaches the bottom of its travel.
      When I raised the motor and took out the filler screw, I got frothy oil spilling out of the filler.

What does all this sound like to you?

No fishing today by the look of it!

Comment

Originally posted by leethesign View Post
        Hi Boscoe, thanks for your reply.

I've topped up the fluid until I can't get any more in - it's just pouring out again.

When I tilt the motor, it goes all the way up, but when I press the down button, all I get is the click from the solenoid but nothing else. I then use the manual release screw and the motor goes down and I think I can hear air bubbling inside the unit as it reaches the bottom of its travel.
        When I raised the motor and took out the filler screw, I got frothy oil spilling out of the filler.

What does all this sound like to you?

No fishing today by the look of it!

It does have to be checked with the engine held up on the manual "flip" assembly.

All the rams needs to be EXTENDED when filling/topping off as well...

To by-pass the switches/relays and JUST check the trim assembly itself, there's TWO wires (from the T&T unit). Disconnect them from the main harness.

Run 12 volts Pos and neg to each wire(at the T&T unit). The trim should go up or down. Reverse the wires to go the opposite direction.. If it goes up and down, the T&T itself is fine, the issue is elsewhere..
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-12-2014, 05:07 PM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks for that Scott - as it's dark here now, I'll give that a go in the morning. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again and nighty night

Comment

Working...
          X