Overheat Alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheat Alarm

My 90hp Inshore Yamaha has started overheating during idle. I dump the boat over, start and let it warm up while parking the truck, and it's screaming by the time I get back to the boat. What's up? It's spitting water from the hole and the system appears to be clear. Someone please help. What are the possibilities? What do I look for? Thanks in advance.

Todd

Well, after research, I've concluded that it could either be the impeller or water pump. How easy is it to change this stuff on my own? Thanks again.

Todd,
    If it has been at least three years since last water pump repair, then your problem probably is the water pump.
    Best to order a repair kit - the sponsor of this forum, boats.net, is a good source. The kit will include the impeller, housing cup and plate, gaskets and o-rings, Woodruff key, and new pump housing bolts.
    Not real difficult to do a pump repair yourself if you are mechanically inclined and have metric tools. Best to have a Yamaha shop manual for your model to guide you - can order online at www.yamahapubs.com
    Be sure to use a thread sealer (I use Permatex 14A with Teflon) on the water pump and lower unit bolts.
    You might want to get a marine mechanic to do this first one for you - get him to agree to let you watch and take notes. That's what I did.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Working...
    X