Alarm Chirping! What is it???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alarm Chirping! What is it???

I have a 2000 60 hp 2 stroke. Took it out last weekend and it started chirping non stop when I'm idling or extremely slow forward gear. Water coming from pee hole. No temp gauge or any gauge for that matter. Not sure if related, but I can mess with the key switch a bit and get it to stop chirping for a bit. If I do get it to stop I'll run hard across the lake and no further issues. Something with the motor or key switch? Any have similar issues?
    Last edited by wyattearp101; 06-09-2014, 10:16 PM.

need to test to see what is calling for the alarm while it is sounding over temp or low oil

Wiggling key should not cause the grounding of the circuit to go away

Comment

Being it's an oil fuel mix I'll look at temp. Is there a practical way to test this with no gauge installed?

Comment

the overheat alarm is not a chirp, it is very loud and a solid horn style noise, it could be the low oil alarm, there are some experts on here I am sure will jump in with suggestions

Comment

A C60 would be a pre mix but that is not what you posted
          Always best to post full model # so anyone looking has an idea of what motor you are talking about.

I think the pink wire that goes to overtemp switch on head should be the proper wire to disconnect while alarm is sounding to see if that makes it go away , if it is like my C40
          Last edited by 99yam40; 06-10-2014, 09:36 PM.

Comment

It is a C60TLRY from what I can see. Thanks for lining me out. I will look for this wire and see if this silences the alarm. Should I target the water pump for replacement? And would there be another issue to cause over heating if this the problem?

Thanks

Comment

ANY alarm on a yamaha is a SOLID tone.
              unlike some others Yamaha uses a SOLID tone for ALL audible alarms.
              on the C60 about all that can set an alarm is overheat.
              however IF the pink wire gets wet or the gray lead gets plugged in, you get a tone.
              how the system works.
              at key on 12V from the switch to the horn is applied, the pink wire runs from the other side of the horn back to the engine temp switch and CDI.
              ANY ground path on that pink wire will allow the horn to operate.

Comment

Working...
              X